Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canadian Cruising?

It's too early to worry about at this point, but I'm getting conflicting information about what is and isn't allowed with the new rules for US citizens coming into Canada. Just wondering if anyone has any definitive information, especially in regard to US vessels/citizens transiting the Welland Canal.

Yes, I can and will call when time gets closer, but it's long distance and subject to change. Besides, I'm bored.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Re: Canadian Cruising?

Got this from a guy who keeps his boat at Sugarloaf...

“just made a few calls. here's the cliff notes of what I got.

Canal is opening on schedule March 24th. Recreational vessels coming from the US and using the canal to go directly back to the US (without staying overnight in Canada) will still have to clear customs but will be allowed to transit because they are not really landing in Canada. I doubt that anyone would actually attempt that because it would be a very long unpredictable day.

For loopers and the ones that need to use the Erie Canal it's too early to speculate what rules will be in place then. As of now the only ones that can be sure will be boat with less than 16' of air draft capable of running the western Erie Canal and not touch Canadian waters. For those Canadian that are simply crossing Lake Ontario to get into Lake Erie be aware that Sugarloaf Marina is currently closed to the public and it is uncertain when that will change and if they are going to accept boats at this time.”
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

From what I gather all traffic except trade, and essential travel is banned both ways, vacations etc..no way.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    From what I gather all traffic except trade, and essential travel is banned both ways, vacations etc..no way.
    I take it you missed the information I quoted in the above post?
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Hello randy, do you know yet if you will be able to stay in the Erie canal all the way to the upper niagara. After that how will accommodations on the south side of Lake Erie be for fuel and dockage. The road borders are closed as of last night for non essential traffic at midnight but trucks can cross and the welland canal will be open. Clearing customs should be no issue but I would be prepared for a long day in the canal, once you are in it there is really no place to stop and get off anyway even if you could. I understand that during this crisis you want to spend as little time in canada as possible.

Walt Hoover

No way to reduce the air draft to allow running the full distance of the Erie, but fuel availability is my biggest concern at this point. No doubt the Welland passage will be a long day, and we may well have no choice but to run well into the night given Canadian marinas are out.

Going up the river system is no longer an option with the Illinois lockdown, so we’ll just have to wait and see how this plays out. No prime rib at Coinjock would be tragic.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I think at this point your mission is scrubbed. Don't get stuck short of essentials in a place where movement is restricted to the point of grocery store and pharmacy runs. The list of states is getting longer by the hour.

If you do, let us know. I'll send the van.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Majority of Marinas I see are not allowing foreign vessels to dock, returning Cdns are also having issues getting to docks, being told to anchor out for 14 days, people can come ashore but told to observe distancing.
    Listen to the news, should help, also telephones are a great invention if you are confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    Listen to the news, should help, also telephones are a great invention if you are confused.
    The Internet and reading work really well too, especially when the information is coming directly from those affected and have provided first hand updates.

I’ll have something in writing as in an email before I commit to a delivery that can’t be completed without crossing into a foreign country.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    I think at this point your mission is scrubbed. Don't get stuck short of essentials in a place where movement is restricted to the point of grocery store and pharmacy runs. The list of states is getting longer by the hour.

If you do, let us know. I'll send the van.
    Time will tell, but we may request you load the van with groceries other than Canadian bacon.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93