Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: 58' 1979 Yacht Fish QUINTESSENCE IV

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    sorry, it's big yacht repower, gregory poole did the job
    Right. And the Yanmars were small; 450hp or less. As far as I know no one has ever repowered a 53MY with 600+hp engines.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Right. And the Yanmars were small; 450hp or less. As far as I know no one has ever repowered a 53MY with 600+hp engines.
    And to do so is to replace everything, engines/gears/shafts/struts/props as well as fuel lines, controls, and instrumentation. It's a massive project, but you'd have perhaps the best boat of its class on the water.

Pascal used 450hp Cummins,he gets 17k cruise ,WOT 20k, the YOUTUBE repower used 530hp Yanmars and WOT was 24.7 k , so 600hp motors would really jump !

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    Pascal used 450hp Cummins,he gets 17k cruise ,WOT 20k, the YOUTUBE repower used 530hp Yanmars and WOT was 24.7 k , so 600hp motors would really jump !
    The key for the repower is the true cruise outcome. Very similar hull to the 53, 800HP still had the vessel's "easy cruise" in the 18-20 knot range. Yes, she'd do 27 knots WOT, but you won't run there. Yes, she'd cruise well at 22-24 knots, but the range suffers. The sweet spot for speed and range was 18-20.
    That calculation is driven by the hull much mores than the motors. Repower with a goal of cruising efficiently at 18-20 knots. There isn't much gain in top end speed as far as needs or use. Fuel consumption (as well as wear and tear) begins to multiply quickly.

Sold. She will be well cared for and loved. A bit of work to do, and she will be off on more adventures. More to come.

Is the new owner a forum member?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I’m his son. He’s a member but I doubt he frequents the forums too much.

Keep in touch and let us know how and what you're doing....since the boats can't tell their own stories (probably a good thing), we have to do it for them....

We absolutely will! Happy to be a part of the community.

Quote Originally Posted by longhrnfan View Post
    I’m his son. He’s a member but I doubt he frequents the forums too much.
    I wish my dad was around to buy mine....and let me use it...

Love that she stays in a family.