Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Raw water elbow configuration

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Why would you move it to the stringer?
    With the present configuration it makes accessing the top of the engine pretty cumbersome, more of a convenience for later maintenance necessities.
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    yes. My concern is whether I would have any back pressure issues moving it from above the engine to the stringer
    I've digested this a bit now. I actually think it's not a good idea to run it below the level where it enters the exhaust elbow. But I can't say exactly why. I can share that the hose on Aslan runs at about the level of the bottom of the valve cover using a steel bracket bolted over the exhaust manifold bolts. Good luck.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I've digested this a bit now. I actually think it's not a good idea to run it below the level where it enters the exhaust elbow. But I can't say exactly why. I can share that the hose on Aslan runs at about the level of the bottom of the valve cover using a steel bracket bolted over the exhaust manifold bolts. Good luck.
    thank you sir. I am having two Y's made by a local shop and will update further

IF you can not buy this configuration off the shelf for that boat
    True Wyes are expense and most have to be fabricated anyways with long lead times. One thing i would consider is getting a good fab shop (Certified Pipe Welders) to make it using a concentric or eccentric reducer (can't see the detail in the pic) and Pipe. I would use sch. 40 (not for the pressure but thickness and longevity) 316L USA made material and 316L Filler. GTAW (TIG) BW procedure with Argon purge. make sure you inspect it when you pick it up to ensure no black (or sugar) inside on the root pass. Will cost you a $good amount to get this done.

5. Re: Raw water elbow configuration

That doesn't look like it came from DD that way. It could be a Covington part/ configuration ordered by Hatteras.

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    That doesn't look like it came from DD that way. It could be a Covington part/ configuration ordered by Hatteras.
    It is a custom Hatteras Y.
    Sam's part number 14108.

It is a custom Hatteras Y.
    Sam's part number 14108.

And it says that they have 7 in stock
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post

And it says that they have 7 in stock
    A few less now.
    Get Alex on the phone asap. He is working at home. He found them this morning.
    I think they will still need a 2.5" short hose to attach to the original DDC tube.
    I will have them in hand probably Tuesday. Will know more then.

A few less now.
    Get Alex on the phone asap. He is working at home. He found them this morning.
    I think they will still need a 2.5" short hose to attach to the original DDC tube.
    I will have them in hand probably Tuesday. Will know more then.
    I ordered mine today--thanks again Capt. Ralph

I have been aweigh for a while. In the mean time, the below part did not work for us.
    To small of hose sizes.
    So, I epoxied up with glass cloth the failure and the owner is off running his ship.

There was another thread where a member had a new discharge pipe made of stainless.
    Can somebody please point me to that thread. I'd like to offer a similar plan to the owner.

Not sure if shinny copper is as pretty as shinny stainless..
    I would like to think the copper would have less issues with warm salt water thru it.