Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow Meters

Re: Flow Meters

Does anyone know of a technician that can dial-in my existing FloScan system? Even if only to verify that it is currently accurate. This would be from Ft Lauderdale going north as far as Annapolis.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Lauderdale Speedometer and Compass installs FlowScans my guess is they might calibrate. 954-522-4885
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

My guess is I’d recoup the cost in two seasons. Seeing how much I’m burning will keep me from lengthy hi-revs joy rides.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    What does running offshore a lot have to do with GPH/MPG @ X RPM that you can calculate the old fashioned way as in before these newfangled contraptions showed up?

If anything, calculating fuel burn with full tanks and then refilling will yield worse numbers than you'll get when you're about to run out of fuel. I suppose if you develop some sort of problem that results in your using/losing fuel beyond the norm, it would alert you that you need to get back to shore quicker than you had planned. I would think that's where the standard 20% reserve would come into play, but it's a no-brainer for you since you already have them.
    We run offshore 3 days at a time. We spend twice as much time trolling as running hard, so the gph varies quite a bit. I always have a pretty good idea of consumption, but it is very reassuring to be able to glance down and confirm the burn. They're also a good indicator of certain problems, like the time I had a fuel line break at the injector and my gph went from 20 to around 70 on that engine as fuel poured into the crankcase.

We also carry a 300 gal bladder, and they come in very handy in determining when I have enough space in my tanks to do the transfer. I feel that they are essential to the way I boat.
    Last edited by Bob Bradley; 03-08-2020 at 10:13 PM.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

I think I mentioned that contingency.

Point is, would you pay $5K for them if you didn’t already have them?

No wrong answer, just curious.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

That’s the $5000 question.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    What does running offshore a lot have to do with GPH/MPG @ X RPM that you can calculate the old fashioned way as in before these newfangled contraptions showed up?

If anything, calculating fuel burn with full tanks and then refilling will yield worse numbers than you'll get when you're about to run out of fuel. I suppose if you develop some sort of problem that results in your using/losing fuel beyond the norm, it would alert you that you need to get back to shore quicker than you had planned. I would think that's where the standard 20% reserve would come into play, but it's a no-brainer for you since you already have them.
    Ain’t no gas stations at the canyons and it’s a long way home. When your laying offshore for a few days it’s easy to lose track of fuel usage. I’ve never had operation gauges their worthless anyway. I have ports and I stick the tanks with a graduated rod. Most accurate way to do it.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I understand what Randy is saying but there is so much more to it than that.

Everything from fuel load to water tank load, number of passengers and even minor trim tab adjustments effects your fuel burn.

Especially with Detroits, a 100 to RPM difference sometimes makes a 15 gallon per hour difference.

If Floscans were reasonably priced, say around 1K I think we would all have them. Diesel ain't cheap.
    Capt. TJ Karbowski
    Rock & Roll Charters
    Clinton, CT
    www.rockandrollcharters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    We run offshore 3 days at a time. We spend twice as much time trolling as running hard, so the gph varies quite a bit. I always have a pretty good idea of consumption, but it is very reassuring to be able to glance down and confirm the burn. They're also a good indicator of certain problems, like the time I had a fuel line break at the injector and my gph went from 20 to around 70 on that engine as fuel poured into the crankcase.

We also carry a 300 gal bladder, and they come in very handy in determining when I have enough space in my tanks to do the transfer. I feel that they are essential to the way I boat.
    I had the same problem on a brand new 46HP apparently the jumper line was bad right from the factory. Filled the engine with fuel until the diluted mixture got sucked into the turbos and caught fire. Fortunately I learned from the one we lost and shut down the running engine and didn’t open the hatches before I pulled the Halon system. I don’t know wether the halon was better than the CO2 on the one that burned but it worked and we didn’t go swimming that day.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I don’t find load (passengers etc) affect fuel burn much based on running boats with flow meters. Full tanks a little bit not that much either unless the boat is poorly balanced

What does affect fuel burn/speed is depth and sea conditions even very mild. At planning speed there is roughly a 10% difference between running say on Biscayne bay or on the bank in the Bahamas vs running in open water even with just 2 to 3 footers. That’s no No current, same load on board, same wind.

5 GPH is roughly $13 an hour these days so if you even save just that then 350/400 hours will make the $5000 costs.

I agree about calibrating a dip stick, assuming they tanks are easy to reach. That’s fine on our boats with keel tanks but no option on boats where the tanks are say outboard of the engines. Another good tool for high tank are sight gauges.

Next refuel on my boat I m going to calibrate sticks for each tank by bringing them low and calibrating every 25 gallons.

Guessing fuel burn by topping off sound ls good but nowadays spilling a drop is a capital offense. How can you be sure your tank is full? I guess you can rig something to catch spills. Not ideal.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat