Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Flow Meters

Flow Meters

Is it possible to install flow meters on these old DDs? I have 892s and would love to have them, very valuable info as Pascal has mentioned on another thread.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Re: Flow Meters

I have them on my 1979 DD 6-71N's - work great!

You can install them on anything, but it’s not an inexpensive proposition. You can find your sweet spots easily enough by running measured distances and refueling.

Not as cool as on demand numbers, but it is what it is.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Now that flo-scan is gone who makes flow meters now? All the electronic engines have as standard equipment.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Maretron, flow scans seemed to always be a problem.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    You can install them on anything, but it’s not an inexpensive proposition. You can find your sweet spots easily enough by running measured distances and refueling.

Not as cool as on demand numbers, but it is what it is.
    I feel that they are a requirement if you head offshore a lot. So far, my 12 yr old flowscans are still working. I hope they continue to do so.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    I feel that they are a requirement if you head offshore a lot. So far, my 12 yr old flowscans are still working. I hope they continue to do so.
    What does running offshore a lot have to do with GPH/MPG @ X RPM that you can calculate the old fashioned way as in before these newfangled contraptions showed up?

If anything, calculating fuel burn with full tanks and then refilling will yield worse numbers than you'll get when you're about to run out of fuel. I suppose if you develop some sort of problem that results in your using/losing fuel beyond the norm, it would alert you that you need to get back to shore quicker than you had planned. I would think that's where the standard 20% reserve would come into play, but it's a no-brainer for you since you already have them.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

8. Re: Flow Meters

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    Now that flo-scan is gone who makes flow meters now? All the electronic engines have as standard equipment.
    They’re back. http://www.floscan.com/html/blue/index.php
    Beachcomber
    Former 3 Hat owner
    Home port Paducah, KY

Talked with Lauderdale Speedometer and Compass yesterday. They said the company that took over FlowScan (they only left the marine market never the aviation market) thought they would have the old or as he put it the cheaper 8500 series available late april. Received a quote from FloScan inc. for $2450 per motor plus cost of fuel lines if needed for a NMEA2000 set up to use on my Garmin 7600s. Wonder how much the cheaper version is. Nice to have on the navs but I would prefer a separate dedicated gauge. I prefer two different scales of nav charts displayed.
    Last edited by Sadey; 03-07-2020 at 10:20 AM.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

How much fuel would you have to save over the fill/run/measure/repeat method to break even with that $5K investment to let a computer do it for you?
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93