Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

8v92 TI Florida Panhandle Chrome Trim Package

One of the big projects for this weekend was clean, prep and paint the engines. I tried to document the process as good as I could but we were quite rushed, so here is what I have.

REALLY wish I had taken more before pics, the transformation was stunning lol.

Prep. Air seps were removed, turbo inlets were taped over/sealed off. Exhaust jackets were removed.

Step 1 (8am sat): Engines were blown off with a high flow air nozzle hooked to air compressor. This removed any loose dust/debris

Step 2 (10am sat): High School Aged helper degreased/washed the engines. Hit any rusted areas with wire brush

Step 3 (3pm sat): Engines blown off again to remove as much water as possible.

Step 4 (4pm sat): I donned a Respirator and fans added. Used brake cleaner to hit all the spots degreasing/washing missed. Used about 20 cans of brake cleaner over the course of the project. I'm amazed at how well the brake cleaner just rinsed the oil/grime away.

Step 5 (8pm sat): All rust spots were hit with ospho in a squirt bottle.

Step 6 (9am sun): All ospho spots were rinsed off with freshwater.

Step 7 (9:30am sun): All hoses and wires masked with aluminum foil

Step 7 (10:30am sun): One last pass with brake cleaner, mainly catching runs/drips.

Step 8 (11am sun): Painting begins. Everything got at least two coats, many places got 3.

North Florida Chrome Package added!

Painting begins!
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Re: 8v92 TI Florida Panhandle Chrome Trim Package

SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

The finished product! Still amazed at how much it brightened up the engine room.

The genset only needed a couple small spots hit.

Gotta love the instant gratification projects! Will be painting some of the bilge compartments and finish off the motor mounts and hot parts of the exhaust manifolds next weekend.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

WOW ! Great work.!

Yes sir, that pops!! Plus, I learned something new. I never thought of using aluminum foil for masking. What a time saver.

I used to buy brake cleaner by the case because, as you said, the grime just rinses away. Unless you used a two part engine paint, be aware that it could melt your new paint.

Thanks for posting and congratulations--beautiful!
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Yes sir, that pops!! Plus, I learned something new. I never thought of using aluminum foil for masking. What a time saver.

I used to buy brake cleaner by the case because, as you said, the grime just rinses away. Unless you used a two part engine paint, be aware that it could melt your new paint.

Thanks for posting and congratulations--beautiful!
    Thanks for your help/guidance on getting me heading in the right direction on this project Robert! The aluminum foil sure did make for easy (and very cheap) paint prep/masking.

The brake cleaner was AMAZING. I had never used it in this capacity before and I'm blown away. It's like a little pressure washer for grease/grime, stuff just melts away.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 03-03-2020 at 11:34 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Looks Great! I remember doing the exact same project 10 years ago. Rob Brueckner (Rbrueckner) told me about using aluminum foil, best idea ever. Same with brake cleaner. Was one of more satisfying projects.

IMG00354-20100508-1604.jpg
    Scott
    1976 43DCFB ,Hull #428, “Exodus”
    Long Island, NY

What paint did you use? was the overspray excessive ? Edward

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    What paint did you use? was the overspray excessive ? Edward
    I used Two different paints. My engines were covington white to start with, which is a slightly off-white color. I decided to go with a bright white, due to the visual advantages of it, the cost and relative availability of the bright white.

Most all of the engine got Rustoleum High Performance Industrial Enamel in gloss white. We used about 14 cans of this.

The exhaust manifolds are getting G2 Brake Caliper Paint. I'm hoping 2 kits (1 kit should do 4 calipers on a car) will be enough for the exhaust manifolds. If not I'll order another kit.

The rustoleum is rated to 200 degrees. Hopefully it will handle temps near that very well and if hot spots develop it will turn amber in color, visually alerting me to hot spots.

The short pieces of the exhaust manifold that connect to the heads and are NOT water jacketed exceed 200degrees by a LOT and I was getting really tired of all the white paint flakes. So they were wire brushed down and I'll be applying this 2 part brake caliper paint to them this next weekend. Hopefully the 2 part high temp paint will hold up better to the higher temps.

The overspray wasn't really that bad. We filled the bilges and under the engines with water to 'catch' the overspray or drips there. Also, I plan on re-painting the bilge compartments and floor with a white paint, so some oversrpay is not going to hurt anything.

We laid blankets or foil over anything we were really concerned about, but it really wasn't much of an issue.

If you were concerned with overspray just lay paint cloths over everything and the overspray would be zero.
    Last edited by rustybucket; 03-03-2020 at 11:35 AM.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Sounds like you had it well planned , I thought it would much longer,looks great! Regards, Edward