Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

"Boat Swap" like "house swap" ?

So, I sit here in the SF Bay Area,
    dreaming about the sound of humming DD's while running up the rivers of the Chesapeake,
    or of the sound of water slapping against the hull at anchor in the San Juan Islands (or the BVIs),
    and I wonder...

My Wife grumbles that we don't use the boat enough.
    My Mother-Out-Law does a house swap (Oakland CA / NY NY) with a couple she's known, for about 5 years running.

Has anyone thought to do a Hatt-to-Hatt boat swap. 2 - 3 weeks at a time. ???

Owner/skipper resume ... "bare boat charter" insurance (or whatever it'd be called) ...
    sailing area restrictions ... Hatteras owners only (ya gotta know the boats, right?) ...

Is it a half-baked idea?
    Has someone already tried it?

( I searched "boat swap" on the Forum and nuthin' came up, so ... )

Re: "Boat Swap" like "house swap" ?

I think the idea may have merit. But, these are older boats each with a litany of idiosyncrasies as long as your arm. For me, turning over Aslan’s helm would outweigh my enjoyment of your gorgeous dream Hatt.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Almost like a wife swap. You never really know what condition she'll be in when you get her back.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I could see it if you swapped them just to use as bed/bath and galley but not to cruise. I don’t think I trust anybody but Robert to take my boat out. Well maybe John from Scarlett, or Ron from wet ever and a few others to take it out for a spin. But for peace of mind I just assumed rent a nice hotel room in the town I planned on visiting.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

They still allow Hatts in San Fransisco Bay?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    Almost like a wife swap. You never really know what condition she'll be in when you get her back.
    Now THAT was funny! She may decide she likes being ridden harder than she's accustomed to.

I say that as a single fellow myself.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

My wife had an idea, how about offering to host fellow Hatt owners for say a week or 10 days and show them the local high lites and in return they host you on their boat for a similar time to see their area. We could take someone over to Catalina Island and up to Newport Beach and maybe they could show us somewhere on the east coast we would like to see. That way we run our own boats. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    Made me snort my coffee on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Now THAT was funny! She may decide she likes being ridden harder than she's accustomed to.

I say that as a single fellow myself.
    Ugg...that's so Randy...

Guys crack me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    My wife had an idea, how about offering to host fellow Hatt owners for say a week or 10 days and show them the local high lites and in return they host you on their boat for a similar time to see their area. We could take someone over to Catalina Island and up to Newport Beach and maybe they could show us somewhere on the east coast we would like to see. That way we run our own boats. John
    Hmmm... That could be interesting. I have the San Juan islands and the Canadian Gulf islands in my backyard (amazing cruising grounds!!) but there are a lot of other places I would love to experience by boat...

Bob
    Bob Leland
    1980 58' Yachtfish Hull#473
    Seattle,Wa / Phoenix, Az

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Only with a Rainbow flag.
    Hmmm.
    We should order a bunch for the next NorCal Lost Tribe of the Hattarai rendezvous.

When will that be BTW?
    (He said, hijacking his own thread...)