Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: 53MY Market

Re: 53MY Market

If this affects the boat market anything like 9-11, we had folks buying boats to stay close to home with their friends and family instead of travelling. That trip to Italy booked for this Summer is most likely off now. Life has a way of pointing out how fragile things are and how important it is to savour what we have.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

No offense, but this is comparing apples to watermelons. 9/11 was a single event. This pandemic is just getting started with lots of variables, unanswered questions, and no end in sight. That doesn't even bring all the restrictions currently in place where boating in general is concerned. There were no travel restrictions and shelter in place orders with 9/11. Life was back to "normal" for most of us within a few days, minus the psychological effects.

I see owners looking at this like a long, cold winter and paying expenses on something they can't even use. I'm not wanting the boat market to tank, and this situation is affecting me directly in more ways than one. It just is what it is, a big mess that nobody knows when it will end.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    I see owners looking at this like a long, cold winter and paying expenses on something they can't even use. I'm not wanting the boat market to tank, and this situation is affecting me directly in more ways than one. It just is what it is, a big mess that nobody knows when it will end.
    Way I look at it. Of course working for an airline I'm up to my knees in alligators right now. The silver lining may be that they offer me something to go home early. I wasn't going to do it before because it was too much money to walk away from. Seems like it's going to be a lot less and I may just pull the rip cord and start playing with boats. Pick one up for a decent price and have the time to make it pretty. No more total circadian disruptions 4 times a month..... Been sleeping like a normal human being at night for 4 weeks now... I can get used to this.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Hindsight on 9-11 nineteen years later is 20/20. At the time there was plenty of uncertainty and unanswered questions. As far as the 53 MY market, here is my summary: Owners are primarily old folks who stopped using them a few years ago and stopped maintaining them a few years before that. The "old Hatteras" buyers are fewer and further between. Still, decent boats that are properly priced do sell sooner or later. There is no market for junk.
    Eric

What would be a reasonable price for a turn key 53my? Any comps?

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    What would be a reasonable price for a turn key 53my? Any comps?
    "Turn key" 53 MY's are few. If you find one, you may decide that the price is not reasonable. The last super nice one that sold was a 1984 53 Classic "Starfire" in Virginia. Ask $259,000 sold for $250,000 in April 2019. She was on the market for around 7 months. Google 53 Hatteras Starfire. There is a youtube video walk through.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    "Turn key" 53 MY's are few. If you find one, you may decide that the price is not reasonable. The last super nice one that sold was a 1984 53 Classic "Starfire" in Virginia. Ask $259,000 sold for $250,000 in April 2019. She was on the market for around 7 months. Google 53 Hatteras Starfire. There is a youtube video walk through.
    She definitely was turn key, that is a fine example of what these old classics can be.
    Last edited by Byresch; 04-01-2020 at 04:10 PM.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

I went aboard that boat also ,very nice ! That sounds like a fair price .

Hi Pascal

Thanks for the advice on the anchorage. Man, you know how to live!
    Spin