Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 53MY Market

Re: 53MY Market

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    FREEBIRD , how many have you inspected ?
    Three in person, but I've pinned brokers pretty good on NOT having me waste my time to look at junk. Most have been pretty forthcoming about their conditions, some have not.

I found one boat that would fit the bill (and the budget), but I can only assume the seller isn't that interested in selling it. As my good friend, Forrest, would say, that's all I have to say about that.

Sorry to interrupt the catamaran convention.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    The only good looking cat I ve ever seen is the UK built Discovery 50
    Not bad styling. Had to look it up.

Were I to go twin hull sail, and had the budget, I'd be looking at Chris White or Guboat. Not for their looks but for their exhilarating performance. For power it's not (yet) worth it to me.

Which reminds me of on other "CON" of cats. You can't load them up like a mono or MY. Performance goes down exponentially with the waterline......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Loading up sailbote torpedoes in 4... 3... 2...
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Loading up sailbote torpedoes in 4... 3... 2...
    OK, I normally stay out of this discussion because haters will be haters and stereotypes and gang banging will never go out of style. Just turn on the TV and the stupid is everywhere. But, I knew I was going to have to make my point some time, so it might as well be now and if I get tarred and feathered I'll just move on.

I have operated on both sides of the equation. I have gotten to know many, many good mariners on both types of vessels. People who operate their boats with skill and utmost concern for safety. People that actually used their boats and covered many thousands of miles of occasionally challenging waters. People that could properly tie a knot, evaluate the weather, fix things on their boats, navigate accurately. People that were courteous and helpful to others. Power boaters and sailors of considerable skill and with EARNED respect.

And I have seen the opposite. I have seen the sailboater that thinks his shit doesn't stink and will go out of his way to get in the way of a powerboat exercising his right of way, real or perceived. I have seen cheap bastards who care only about themselves and plug into another boaters pedestal at metered marinas. I have also seen the power boaters that go out of their way to intentionally wake a sailboat. That give sailboaters the finger just because. That throw their empty beer bottle in the "fracking ragbote" stumbling down the dock at 1am.

A-holes are everywhere. They are not limited to any kind of boat. They are on the water, on the road, at the mall, everywhere. Courtesy and respect, on the water and on land. And I will leave it at that.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 03-02-2020 at 10:03 PM.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I’ve owned a sailboat since 1981 and could actually see myself going over to the dark side if I were to move to Florida. My comment was more toward giving you and others a hard time about sailboat conversation on my 53MY thread. I’ve yet to see one fitted with a sail, although a few seem to be candidates for such a thing. I mean the keel is there and everything.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    I’ve owned a sailboat since 1981 and could actually see myself going over to the dark side if I were to move to Florida. My comment was more toward giving you and others a hard time about sailboat conversation on my 53MY thread. I’ve yet to see one fitted with a sail, although a few seem to be candidates for such a thing. I mean the keel is there and everything.
    Fair enough.

Certainly beefy enough to bolt on some chainplates somewhere.......
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    OK, I normally stay out of this discussion because haters will be haters and stereotypes and gang banging will never go out of style. Just turn on the TV and the stupid is everywhere. But, I knew I was going to have to make my point some time, so it might as well be now and if I get tarred and feathered I'll just move on.

I have operated on both sides of the equation. I have gotten to know many, many good mariners on both types of vessels. People who operate their boats with skill and utmost concern for safety. People that actually used their boats and covered many thousands of miles of occasionally challenging waters. People that could properly tie a knot, evaluate the weather, fix things on their boats, navigate accurately. People that were courteous and helpful to others. Power boaters and sailors of considerable skill and with EARNED respect.

And I have seen the opposite. I have seen the sailboater that thinks his shit doesn't stink and will go out of his way to get in the way of a powerboat exercising his right of way, real or perceived. I have seen cheap bastards who care only about themselves and plug into another boaters pedestal at metered marinas. I have also seen the power boaters that go out of their way to intentionally wake a sailboat. That give sailboaters the finger just because. That throw their empty beer bottle in the "fracking ragbote" stumbling down the dock at 1am.

A-holes are everywhere. They are not limited to any kind of boat. They are on the water, on the road, at the mall, everywhere. Courtesy and respect, on the water and on land. And I will leave it at that.

Very well said. I agree, I've seen the same things and am glad you made your comments.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Hopefully this thread gets back on track as I found it interesting as to the views on the 53MY market and what others are seeing around the country.
    Ron and Sheila Mad Hatteras 1984 ED MY

Watching it..... Not sure the listings will change much, but I suspect that at some point soon offers will be considered that might not have been considered a year ago.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Watching it..... Not sure the listings will change much, but I suspect that at some point soon offers will be considered that might not have been considered a year ago.
    I guarantee you that's already happening. Been there, bought that.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93