Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 53MY Market

Re: 53MY Market

What have the latest sold prices shown on soldboat.com? Like has been said, the seller can ask anything, what counts is the sold price.

If an extra 2’ of beam is a dealbreaker then why am I seeing catamarans everywhere? Surely it’s harder to find a slip for a 25’ beam cat than a 18’ beam monohull and yet the number of sail and power cats seems to be exploding.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

FREEBIRD , how many have you inspected ?

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    If an extra 2’ of beam is a dealbreaker then why am I seeing catamarans everywhere? Surely it’s harder to find a slip for a 25’ beam cat than a 18’ beam monohull and yet the number of sail and power cats seems to be exploding.
    Not sure they are "exploding", but they are certainly increasing, and relative to monohulls their numbers may be growing faster. Note that a lot of it is due to their popularity in the charter market.

Why?

Pros:

*Efficiency. Large living volume with relatively small wetted surface 2, 3 miles to the gallon at very respectable speeds with very moderate horse power.
    *Space. three of four double ensuite cabins in the hulls, comparatively massive salons and decks..... all at 40-50' LOA The result: 8 renters on one boat in comfort...... $$$$$ (Charter industry is driving cat development)
    *Stability. They sail/motor flat. Because of the efficiency the sail versions perform reasonably well even when under canvassed which is what charter fleets do. Less chance for renters to get in trouble.
    *By the same token, with a lot of canvas and a performance design heart rates can be screaming for HOURS...... Do some Youtube searching on sailboat speed records.... whoa baby

Cons:

*Not cheap, compared to monohulls of the same length, although that's a bit apples and oranges as a monohull of comparable living space would be longer and more $$$.
    *Docking and hauling can be more of a challenge and more $$$
    *(Me personally) Not the prettiest things....

Bottom line: With the right budget and the right appreciation pros outweigh the cons and beam is not a dealbreaker. And, with the majority of the charter market being cats, renters that convert to owners seek what they are (now) familiar with.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 03-01-2020 at 09:37 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Good points. The only good looking cat I ve ever seen is the UK built Discovery 50. Unfortunately they only built one...

Power cats are gaining popularity too, both at the smaller end (30/40) and larger sizes. Horizon has a nice line up... Lazzara is launching their Corona line (65 - 85) and more.

Dockage is an issue in some areas but the amount of space you get is amazing
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

330+ boats in Georgetown today and the number of cats, sail and power far outnumber the powerboats. Probably by 2:1. Some are charters, but most are long term cruisers, many with kids and many Europeans. Leopards of all sizes appear to be the most common brand.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

330+ boats in Georgetown today and the number of cats, sail and power far outnumber the powerboats. Probably by 2:1. Some are charters, but most are long term cruisers, many with kids and many Europeans. Leopards of all sizes appear to be the most common brand.
    I think the large number of Leopards proves Oscarvan's point about people buying what they charter. Leopard has a huge percentage of the catamaran charter industry and as he stated people buy what they are comfortable with.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Come back in May / June and the ratio is 3 to 1 power to sail. At least in most of the Exumas. Gtown is a bit different as it has free water which attracts sailboaters like Bahamas flies to a steak on the grill
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I think that’s when we will be coming back next year: April/May to June. It’s a lot more windy than I expected or perhaps I did not take into account how the wind and waves would restrict our desire to go exploring. Probably both since we are so new at this. Then again maybe winter of 2020 is a good time to self quarantine!

Anyway there wind driven whitecaps and 2’ or larger waves in the anchorage today. We will stay in Georgetown until the Regatta is over and then head north to explore our way to Staniel where we pick up guests in last week of March.

It’s good here when the wind drops below 20kts and great when it’s below 10kts. Next year we will winter in the Keys and come over in April for a few months. We do love being able to spend weeks out of marinas.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

A good spot to anchor if you want to be away from all the boats is were Stock meets Elizabeth. Good easterly protection and plenty deep with a lot of swing room. The area in the shallow cut is beautiful.

Also make sure you go down to Moriah Harbor. We usually only anchor there for the day as it can get rolly with NE. If it s too windy you can go there with the dinghy along the shore of Great Exuma under the crab bay bridge and thru the red shanks and behind Man of War. Well worth exploring.

It can be a little windy in winter but usually ease up by March. We re heading down in a couple of weeks, have a few charters till mid April.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat