Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

#2 Key for Wing Door

I'm in need of a #2 key for an old Dexter lock. Ed told me that Dexter discontinued making the lock over 20 years ago; Dexter was bought out by Master Lock, and then later dropped.

Installing a new lock set will require modification to the wing doors, something I'd rather not have to do.

The #2 is stamped on the key way.

I've gone through the bag of keys that came with Katerina.... I'm hoping someone on this great site has one!
    Thanks for looking. Rebecca
    KATERINA
    1970 53MY Hull #329
    Cummins VT8-370M
    Alameda CA

Re: #2 Key for Wing Door

I have a number of keys on board that fit a lot of different locks but I’ve never heard them described as number 2. Could you take a photo of what the key looks like if you have one and I’ll see if I could match it up for you.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Is dexter the maker of hatteras locksets? I have a 1965 41c and would like to get an extra key for the slider in the salon.

Quote Originally Posted by GinnupsGirl View Post
    I'm in need of a #2 key for an old Dexter lock. Ed told me that Dexter discontinued making the lock over 20 years ago; Dexter was bought out by Master Lock, and then later dropped.

Installing a new lock set will require modification to the wing doors, something I'd rather not have to do.

I've gone through the bag of keys that came with Katerina.... I'm hoping someone on this great site has one!
    Could try to take the tumbler to a locksmith to be re-keyed.

My key works the wing and pilothouse doors.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazed338 View Post
    Could try to take the tumbler to a locksmith to be re-keyed.
    That would be my plan.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

IMG_4866.jpg

Hello again -
    The lock set is out and I took it to an "old timer" lock smith here in Alameda. He said he could not make a key.

My neighbor has a 1971 53'MY and none of his spare keys worked.

I was told by Ed at Sams that Dexter was the manufacturer of this lock set.
    KATERINA
    1970 53MY Hull #329
    Cummins VT8-370M
    Alameda CA

I’d try another locksmith. If he’s the type that’s forgotten more than most ever knew, maybe look for one that hasn’t forgotten quite so much. You have nothing to lose......
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Attachment 38389

Hello again -
    The lock set is out and I took it to an "old timer" lock smith here in Alameda. He said he could not make a key.

My neighbor has a 1971 53'MY and none of his spare keys worked.

I was told by Ed at Sams that Dexter was the manufacturer of this lock set.
    I sent you 2 text messages with no reply. I have extra keys that may work. You have my number. Rusty
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

If you are still in need of a good locksmith, this place has done me well over the years. I bought a new lock set from Sam’s, they were able to reset the lock to match my existing key. http://kittleslocksmith.com/
    Best regards,
    --
    David