Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Steering upgrade

I have a 1989 74 ft MY (65ft w 9FT cockpit ext.) and want to upgrade my steering. Currently I
    have Hynautic steering. Has anyone changed their steering, what system did you use and does it work
    good? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Steering upgrade

I roughly checked into upgrading to a power steering system a few months back, quickly discovered it was going to be considerably more expensive than I was hoping. I think I quit looking after the total topped $5k and I still had other components to source.

They hynautic is good when maintained and taken care of. What is wrong with your existing system? Most likely cheaper and easier to repair it than attempt to refit a new system.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

My steering has let me down a couple times and would like to upgrade. What systems have you looked at ?

How did it let you down?

Added Teleflex power steering when we did the repower in 2001 (almost 6,000 hrs), have hydraulic pumps on both engines with auto cross over valving in case only 1 engine is working. It's been really great, had 1 small leak in the ram a few years ago, easy seal change.
    Also changed all of the hydraulic lines switching over to Hynautic tubing.

Have 1 oddball piece which is a Kobelt helm which has variable output via turning a screw,. probably put that in around 1990, has to have well over 10,000 hrs on it, bulletproof.

If I was going to do an install today would probably go with a self contained electric pump hydraulic system or maybe even an all electric system.
    Dometic bought the steering unit from Sierra which already owned Teleflex, Hynautic, Morse, etc.
    Last edited by Cricket; 11-04-2020 at 12:49 PM.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I'm surprised they built a boat that size without power assisted steering.

I have a friend with a 42 Duffy dive boat, I've run it and his power-assisted steering was nice. I'll ask him what brand it is. You might also look at the Northern Lights web site. They used to sell a very good brand of power steering components, I think they were called Marol. They might still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I'm surprised they built a boat that size without power assisted steering. I have a friend with a 42 Duffy dive boat, I've run it and his power-assisted steering was nice. I'll ask him what brand it is. You might also look at the Northern Lights web site. They used to sell a very good brand of power steering components, I think they were called Marol. They might still have it.
    In talking with the Hynautic folks 3/4 years ago, I learned I could’ve greatly reduce the force needed to turn the wheel by simply going up to 3/8” lines from the OEM copper. FWIW, Aslan is very light on the controls on plane. Around the dock, the wheel is heavy. I don’t use much rudder around the dock. But when I do, it’s just a lot easier to engage the pilot and spin the dial.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

My steering was very heavy to turn. After I pulled my rudders and installed new bearings and bushings and new Gore packing, it turns effortlessly. I couldn't believe the difference.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Anyone know who manufacturers electric steering systems besides ZF !!

Seems to me that if your steering system has let you down, the cure for that might be repairing the system as opposed to adding power steering. Hatteras yachts were built with very high-quality components- mine was built in 1971 and the steering works fine, with periodic maintenance. Perhaps you could get the steering system looked at and see why it stops working sometimes.

36" wheel and it's a 2 finger operation.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay