Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

41C Hatteras mufflers

I found 5 gallons of saltwater in my Port 8v53 Detroit. The issue happened while anchored out in 5ft seas.I believe it came up the exhaust while we were pitching in the seas. I have a question on Exhaust systems on a Gen 1 41C if anyone is familiar with them. Is there any kind of baffles in the mufflers? There were straight pipes and no muffler on the port side where the water came in. No issues on the starboard side. I'm looking at the Centex Vernatone which looks close to original but they have no baffles. Has anyone done a replacement?
    I pulled drained the water out of the air boxes and oil pan and she restarted. Still smoky and missing but damn those detroits are indestructible.
    Rebuild time :-(

Jim Bone
    bonesboat.com

Re: 41C Hatteras mufflers

Mufflers, even with baffles won't always stop water from getting into the engine, you need to add surge tubes.

CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Mufflers, even with baffles won't always stop water from getting into the engine, you need to add surge tubes.
    At least outside flaps.
    I'd double check your riser (dump can) height also.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    At least outside flaps.
    Not sure if they make one big enough, worth a call.

https://www.vetus.com/en/exhaust-sys...nnections.html
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Thanks All. I will be looking into the serge tubes. I still need to pick the best muffler.

Very common problem on the 41c with 8V53's. Charter boats up north never shut them off when drifting or anchored on a rough day. Some had made up wood covers they blocked exhaust with when they shut them down on a rough day to protect from "taking a gulp" as they called it.