Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best VPN?

Best VPN?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good VPN to watch US content in the Bahamas? I am currently using PureVPN, but it keeps cutting me off every 15 minutes. This is to be able to stream or download US based content on Prime, Hulu, Netflix etc when out of the country. They only have US rights to British TV and block you when you go to the Bahamas. We like to watch our Brit mystery’s at night!
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Re: Best VPN?

We never used one while in the Bahamas. It would not surprise me if the ISP or Cell service you are using was the culprit.
    Regards
    Dan

I use ExpressVPN, but relatively new to me, so far so good, very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    We never used one while in the Bahamas. It would not surprise me if the ISP or Cell service you are using was the culprit.
    Cell service is one thing, Streaming is another. BTC probably does not want streaming and flushes IP leases every 15 minutes or so.
    Nothing is free in the islands.
    OTOH, your in the islands. This is when the required viewing is played on the screens.
    Captain Ron, Key Largo and others are for the weather days.

I am in St Maarten and have tried a couple of services and ended up with express VPN. But even with the proxy server you still need to pick the best city to mirror, that the streaming services do not know about yet. I called the customer service at Express VPN and asked which city server was still working best with the streaming services and they reluctantly told me. It works great.
    The streaming services like Netflix etc are in a battle to stop the proxy server companies from allowing use of the content by people outside the U.S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Cell service is one thing, Streaming is another. BTC probably does not want streaming and flushes IP leases every 15 minutes or so.
    Nothing is free in the islands.
    OTOH, your in the islands. This is when the required viewing is played on the screens.
    Captain Ron, Key Largo and others are for the weather days.
    Cell service provides data. It was reasonable in the Bahamas last time we were over. So including it in the discussion is reasonable.
    Regards
    Dan

We turn on the tv after watching the sunset. Days are for boat work, exploring and going to the beach. I have had others on other forums suggest Express VPN, I’ll give their 30 day money back guarantee a try. Thanks.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    Cell service provides data. It was reasonable in the Bahamas last time we were over. So including it in the discussion is reasonable.
    Not sure I understand your thought.

I thought the original topic was a problem streaming movies over a cell service. Did I miss read something?

A VPN is an intermediate hop on the internet so that it looks like the destination is somewhere else. If you try to connect to Netflix directly (presumably on a WiFi connection) it recognizes that the connection is to the Bahamas and disallows it. If instead, you connect to a VPN (in the states) and then to Netflix from there, it sees the VPN location (in the states) and allows it.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    A VPN is an intermediate hop on the internet so that it looks like the destination is somewhere else. If you try to connect to Netflix directly (presumably on a WiFi connection) it recognizes that the connection is to the Bahamas and disallows it. If instead, you connect to a VPN (in the states) and then to Netflix from there, it sees the VPN location (in the states) and allows it.
    The local ISP (internet service provider) still controls the connection. Netflix does not.
    If the ISP does not want you streaming whole movies, you are not, with or without a VPN (Virtual private network).