Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

another 36 convertible question

Turns out that the grandfather of a friend and colleague of mine owned a 36 Hatteras convertible, series 1, similar to mine, also bought locally (Taylor's Landing Yacht Sales) in 1971. We thought that this might possibly be my boat, but mine had a different name when new. In any case, if anyone has any information on a 1971 36 convertible Hatteras, the original name of which was "Bee-Jay II", would they PM me about it? My friends would like to see if they can find out where the boat is now.

Thanks to all for any help. I don't know how to search the CG documentation database, and I don't know whether that boat was documented or titled in Maryland, could have been either one.

Re: another 36 convertible question

No info on the boat, but certainly an interesting name. Sounds like some good times were had on her.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

To research with th USCG would require the official number. 1971 is pre-HIN to that's a non starter. Remote chance to connect it up using the Hatteras hull ID but that's a very long shot.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

We are trying to see what we can dig up from family information on their side. I know the second owner of my boat was in the Baltimore area, I'm fairly certain. My friend thinks that his grandfather's boat was bought from Taylor's Landing, and I know the first owner of my boat did not keep her very long, so there's a chance it's the same hull.

I also know there's a way to search the file of my boat, but if it was not in documentation when it was with the second owner, I don't think the name will appear in the file. It's possible that it was just registered in MD with the state, which wouldn't leave a paper trail with the USCG.

That's not necessarily true. Back in the olden days, the chain of title had to be maintained on a boat that left USCG documentation (for state titling) and then returned. Not so today.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"