Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bayliner Model 4788

A friend of mine in San Diego is looking at several Bayliner Model 4788s that are for sale there and asked me what I thought of them. I've had 2 friend that owned 4788s and one that owned a 45 foot model and they really like the boats. I told him I'd go for one with the Cummins engines, but to go for it.

I think they are comfortable boats and one will make a great liveaboard which is what he wants. I wished him luck, good seas and happy sailing with it.

I know this isn't Hatteras related but I am wondering what you guys consider makes a boat a good liveaboard.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Re: Bayliner Model 4788

I have a number of friends that own 4788’s and the live them. This is just my opinion but they are not ocean going boats. Great for bay and delta. Hulls are thin. I’m some areas you can see light through the hull. However they are roomier that most body that size. Easy on and off through the transom.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Having surveyed many of both, tell him not to consider the 4588, you don’t want the Hino diesels and there was a big step up in build quality on the 4788. Agree with Rusty’s comments also. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Cummins is the better choice by far. A customer has a 53 with cummins 5.9s and it planes off and cruises pretty well. It's an icw boat. Not for big water for sure.

Working on it's a bit challenging. Not well designed for access.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I recall Pascoe felt the Bayliner 4788 was a great boat. Check Yachtsurvey.com

Scott’s comment is spot on. In a 4588 with Hino diesels you cannot even add water without lifting the main saloon floor panels, in fact some of the floor panel supports are cut out to clear the engines. There is a tiny crawl space where the stairs going down to the cabins lift out. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    Doesn't seem listed..... https://www.yachtsurvey.com/boatrevi...boatreview.htm
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Then it was in his book, Mid Sized Powerboats

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    Is he relevant anymore...or even alive?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Is he relevant anymore...or even alive?
    Yes and no.

His readings are always entertaining and contain a wealth of tips and knowledge.

David Pascoe passed away in 2018 at the age of 71.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay