Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Radar Location

Re: Radar Location

Mine is installed on the overhang - it came to me that way, and I don't have an arch. I've no plan to get one either. Just know the limitations.
    Attached Images
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

Who needs a vasectomy when you got this?
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaHall View Post
    Unless you're installing high powered ship RADAR, (10kw, 10' wide scanner, high powered), I wouldn't be overly concerned about "radiation." You get more dosage from cell phones and microwaves. 3kw sets and below are plenty safe, as close as 2 meters. To quote a recent article I read, you are in more danger of being struck by the scanner itself, (open array).I totally agree with Jim, in that the bigger concern is functionality. Consider any "blind spots" in the scanner sweep.On my commercial tug, there are two units, and they have reciprocal shadows where the scanner sweeps the mast. That shadow increases with distance, like a pie slice. If an 8" diameter pipe can impede a picture in this way, imagine the effect of an entire flybridge.
    I never heard of a 2000 wat cell phone.

If considering radar I would suggest nothing less than 4 kw.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by dar636 View Post
    Mine is installed on the overhang - it came to me that way, and I don't have an arch. I've no plan to get one either. Just know the limitations.
    PS: I thought the performance in this location is fine by the way. From observation I don't think anything can sneak up from behind us unnoticed that isn't smaller in size. Our size and larger certainly register as returns.
    Matt
    1976 58' YF, Hull #410
    "Time Out West"

Size is one of them. Elevation is the other. Power might be a third, unless you equate size to power, which I suppose you could reasonably do.

My personal choices are between Garmin 18xHD and Garmin Fantom 18 (I have Garmin Chart Plotter).

Regarding radar versus cell phone, I think they are taking into account that you hold a cell phone right to the side of your head.

Installing on the overhang is attractive, but I could see wanting to see stuff behind you. When I am running down the ICW, I wouldn't mind seeing traffic gaining on me. I am on the fly bridge most of the time, but sometimes I am focused too much looking forward.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Some of the new high tech radars put out just a few watts.
    Great for channel work. These new solid-state or broadband radar would work great down low.
    Low may be better so piles and traps are not missed. On an arch, some could be missed.

When you need precision and range It does take height, power and array length.
    I have a 10KW-6ft array up high. from the Dry Tortugas I can see Key West, Cuba and the weather coming in from there. But I can not see the area markers in close range. Soon I will be adding a small radome low and forward (some where??) to help more on the St-Johns river for pots and day markers..

My wife and I have learned to always eyeball scan 360s often, day & night. Even with radar, we catch things astern by eye before we look at the radar.

So, Hi - low mount, what do you want to see?