Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Radar Location

Radar Location

Are there any issues with putting a dome radar on the overhang in front of the flybridge? Basically where the search light is, but in the center. It would be on a 9" or so pedestal. It's that or add an arch and put it up high. I realize higher is better, but lower is cheaper.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Radar Location

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Are there any issues with putting a dome radar on the overhang in front of the flybridge? Basically where the search light is, but in the center. It would be on a 9" or so pedestal. It's that or add an arch and put it up high. I realize higher is better, but lower is cheaper.
    Were you planning on any more kids?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

It's possible to mount it there and safely cut the transmission aft but you have poor performance aft as its blanked for the area.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Were you planning on any more kids?
    Is that like Wienie roast anyone.

that is where mine is mounted, works great except straight behind the boat, flybridge blocks it's view
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Horrible place to set one up. The radiation goes through you every sweep. It’s a good spot if you drive from the main salon but not from the fly bridge. Get it on an arch.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

You can also get a post instead of an arch, but they don't look nearly as good. Regardless, it needs to be up where it's going to be able to do all of it's job. After all, you would like to know what's coming up behind you in the fog as well as what you are approaching.

Unless you're installing high powered ship RADAR, (10kw, 10' wide scanner, high powered), I wouldn't be overly concerned about "radiation." You get more dosage from cell phones and microwaves. 3kw sets and below are plenty safe, as close as 2 meters. To quote a recent article I read, you are in more danger of being struck by the scanner itself, (open array).I totally agree with Jim, in that the bigger concern is functionality. Consider any "blind spots" in the scanner sweep.On my commercial tug, there are two units, and they have reciprocal shadows where the scanner sweeps the mast. That shadow increases with distance, like a pie slice. If an 8" diameter pipe can impede a picture in this way, imagine the effect of an entire flybridge.
    Joshua1985 60C #379SCYLLAGalveston, Tx

Agreed. Cutting out half the picture defeats the purpose of having one. The health hazards are overstated.

https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/e...eally-hurt-you
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Thanks everyone. Arch it is. I wasn't concerned about radiation, not from the domed units, and I would have programmed in the blocked (aft) area, but it would be better to have 360 degrees. And the arch will give me mounting points for other gizmos.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL