Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: New Davit Question

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    Unless you and your spouse are young and fit or your tender is very light, I would seriously consider a fully powered davit. Pulling a heavy tender “uphill” by hand in any kind of swell is not my idea of fun, if you can do it at all. It may be barely possible when the davit is new and well greases, but it will not get any easier after a year’s exposure to salt spray and mist.
    X2
    We have a 13' Whaler with a 250 lb engine and I agree 100%. Total package is probably 850-900 lbs by the time you add in Fuel, battery, anchor and 'stuff'. In calm water it's a struggle wrestling with a manual boom swivel with wife and myself. A fully powered davit would be a godsent. I priced a 1000lb fully powered Marquip. $21,000. Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Maybe a dumb question as I never really looked at mine on the 58, but how difficult is it to remove/replace a basic davit from the stand pipe?
    You just lift up off the standpipe.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    X2
    We have a 13' Whaler with a 250 lb engine and I agree 100%. Total package is probably 850-900 lbs by the time you add in Fuel, battery, anchor and 'stuff'. In calm water it's a struggle wrestling with a manual boom swivel with wife and myself. A fully powered davit would be a godsent. I priced a 1000lb fully powered Marquip. $21,000. Ouch!
    Yeah it s hard. I used to have a hard 13’ tender on mine and bringing it back on was a struggle since you have to pull up hill due to the list caused by the dinghy. Trying a line at the tip of the davit helps give you more leverage
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    You just lift up off the standpipe.
    Thanks. That's what I assumed, but you know how that goes.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

This is why I got an inflatable. After reading and watching videos of tender launches. My davit is very simple, just a winch on stainless steel boom that slips onto the stove pipe. The PO did have a Boston Whaler on it before, but probably the smaller one. My 11' inflatable with 9.9 HP motor, gas etc, is about 350 lb, and I am able to launch it easily by myself. I'll post pictures of it if interested. You can have a machine shop make the boom for probably a few hundred dollars. The winch was $400 (I just replaced the original one because I wanted a move vertical style and faster).
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

This my rig.The line on the top of the Davit is needed to torque the beast around to the cradle. That said, love the utility, stability and safety of the classic Boston Whaler. Scoots along at 37 mph which is fun on nice days.
    Attached Images

A year ago we bought a used MarQuipt full powered davit from the For Sale section of this forum. It was a takeoff from a Viking sportfisher and had been rebuilt by MarQuipt a couple of years previously. We needed to replace our standpipe with one with a larger OD and thicker wall. When all was said and done we were into it for under 15k installed. No matter what the price, it was perhaps the best improvement we have made.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987