Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: New Davit Question

Darn that’s a great deal.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

I’m leaning towards the new UMT. Considering the price of anything hydraulic with the cost of install and the maintenance, the manual crane might be a better setup for me. I like the simplistic nature of the crane and of course the cost of install. Next question, I have a 24volt system and currently have a 110 outlet from the previous davit next to the standpipe. Should I order a 24 or 110 volt crane?
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

I’d go 24V in the unlikely event you lose both generators as in bad fuel etc.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

That’s what I was leaning towards for the same reasons.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

Sadey,

I had a manual UMT installed for about 10 years. It was 120V. UMT is a good company and I liked the davit but it did not age well. I replaced the electric motor atleast once if not twice. The clutch brake was an issue once as well. The “swivel” got stiff as well making it a bit of a fight to swing the dinghy. Got that greased up and it got better. Overtime the openings where you put the big stainless pin in get wallowed out and the “shock absorbers” get weak and it will require 2 people to get the pin in. One to hold he boom up one to stick the pin in. Finally the wire that powers the winch fell from where it was glued and got chewed up by the gears on the winch. Last year went with a steel head fully hydraulic and love it. It has made launch and retrieval much easier. Bullhead Marine in Stuart or Ft Pierce may still have the my old UMT. The owner is a honest straight person who is a pleasure to deal with. Good luck with your decision.

It just seems to me there should be plenty of these things in salvage yards throughout South Florida and especially the Panama City area after the storm(s).

Electric winches, AC and DC, are easy to come by, and I wonder how much it would cost to have a davit fabricated. It’s absurd what these things sell for new, and I question what it is I’m missing when I look at them. Can anyone tell me what I’m missing?
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Can anyone tell me what I’m missing?
    Liability
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The lifespan of most hydraulic cylinders is around 10 to 13 years... been thru this a few times especially the rotating cylinders. These things aren’t cheap.

The only way a used one is worth it is if it s free or almost free
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Unless you and your spouse are young and fit or your tender is very light, I would seriously consider a fully powered davit. Pulling a heavy tender “uphill” by hand in any kind of swell is not my idea of fun, if you can do it at all. It may be barely possible when the davit is new and well greases, but it will not get any easier after a year’s exposure to salt spray and mist.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Maybe a dumb question as I never really looked at mine on the 58, but how difficult is it to remove/replace a basic davit from the stand pipe?
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93