Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Davit Question

Unfortunately when we purchased Benedetto it did not have a davit. It had been removed at some point however the 4” standpipe remains and is in good condition. I don’t want to be cheap but I don’t want to spend excess money on a davit. I’ve looked at some used davits and one might be a player. It’s an old UMT in great shape that has hydraulic lift and winch capabilities with manual swing. After a UMT referb I’ll have about $8500-9500 in it. I can buy a brand new UMT all manual for roughly the same money. Not sure which way to go. Thoughts? Also should I look at other brands, Marquip or Quicklift? I’m trying to get this taken care of before we leave South Florida. I know it will be easier to handle it here than up in Wisconsin. Don’t have a tender yet and don’t plan to get one until we get north however a 1000 pound capacity should be more then enough or us.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Re: New Davit Question

.We have both a nautical structure hydraulic platform and a Nautical Structure Davit on the Lazzara 84 i run and while they are well designed and built their Service is absolutely terrible. It takes multiple emails and calls to get a response

Before that we had a QuickLift on a 70 i was running and it was great. Excellent service and support, well designed.

That said either of these two will be $$$$.
    Last edited by Pascal; 02-20-2020 at 06:15 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Sealift and freedom lift make nice options if you want it at the platform.

I deal with them enough to have the owners cell number.

Great people.

PM if you want me to put you in touch with the right people.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I have read that service through Marquip does tend to leave a lot to be desired. One of the reasons I’m leaning towards a new UMT manual davit is it simplicity and service. I have to be in reasonably decent shape at least for the next 12 years as a requirement of my job so physically I can deal. The manual one is less expensive, requires less to install and has less things to go wrong mechanically but will I be sorry I didn’t spend more on a hydraulic davit when I start pushing around a 900 pound dinghy in the wind?
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

The two times our MarQuipt davit needed service MarQuipt was out there after one call and within a couple of days. However they were extraordinarily expensive which is in line with all of their prices. They did fix things first time though. Once for debris in a valve and once to replace the rotation motor.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

If it folds down low, then no problem, but if it sticks up, you will probably have to remove it when you pull off your arch in the Erie. Just a thought in case you want to wait until you're up north so you don't have to mess with it.

I just sold my Nautical Structures davit last year that might have worked well for you. You might want to check those out.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Just got off the phone with the guy from quick lift and dang those are expensive! Funny thing is he said he knew of a used one that happen to be the one that I’m looking at. He’s the guy who removed it from the boat to install a 2000 pound davit. Everything I’m looking at so far is low profile and will be well short of the height of the flybridge. Sky, do you mind if I ask how much you sold your nautical structures one for and what type it was?
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

Boy do I feel stupid.... I m editing my earlier post to correct Marquipt to Nautical Stuctures !! This is what we have and who s a pain for service. Brain fart... I must have inhaled too much saw dust today building the new foraward head...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I've got a manual marquip on my 63. It's just about impossible to retrieve my Whaler except in calm water. I'm on a freshwater lake most of the time, so it's not an issue. But in the Gulf, if the boat starts rocking in the swells, it's very, very, very difficult to swing the David with a 900 lb whaler hanging on it. I tow it the majority of the time.

I had this one.

http://www.nautical-structures.com/d...anes#mc800-102

Sold it for $2500
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI