Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Breakers tripping

I have a 1975 classic Hatteras motor yacht and a couple breakers want to trip when under a regular load I think I need to replace them I'm thinking of getting new ones from Sam's because they're not normal circuit breakers is this a normal experience with old circuit breakers or should I be looking for something else

Re: Breakers tripping

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Jamey Lynn View Post
    I have a 1975 classic Hatteras motor yacht and a couple breakers want to trip when under a regular load I think I need to replace them I'm thinking of getting new ones from Sam's because they're not normal circuit breakers is this a normal experience with old circuit breakers or should I be looking for something else
    While breakers can go bad or get weak, I'd probably suggest clamping an amp meter on the wires and see what the circuit is actually pulling. Breakers are NOT cheap and it sucks to replace them and have the same problem. Verify that the amp pull is actually 'normal' before you start pulling stuff out. Could very easily be bad wiring or bad appliances somewhere.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Do the same breakers trip on the generator? If not you could have either low voltage or undersized conductors feed shore power. If volts go down amps go up (load is gonna pull load no matter what) and that will trip a breaker that is just doing what designed to do. Not saying that is what it is but something to be verified.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

I’ve only had it happen to me once. But the same circuit kept tripping and tripping and tripping. I did contact Sam’s and order a new one and that seems to have taken care of the issue for the last five years.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Which breaker ? Individual circuit or a master ? Have you checked the load on the circuit? What was on?

Yes it could be the breaker but it could also be an issue on that circuit.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I second everyone's thoughts that a bad breaker is usually not the issue. I had a breaker that would open whenever I would run the water heater, but only on shore power. Turned out that the PO had put in a 2000 watt element instead of a 1500 watt element (which is what the WH was designed for). In any event, the 2000 watt element put the amps right at the threshold and the breaker would open at my dock, but not at the PO's dock, nor while on generator. I replaced it with a 1500 watt element and all is fine. Short version, before you replace the breaker, confirm that it is broken.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Another tidbit that I learned from that ordeal is that breakers are designed to stay closed with 80% of their load. For example, a 20 amp breaker can carry 16 amps all day, not 20 amps. It can handle surges to 20 amps, but only briefly. My WH would stay on for 15 seconds or so, then the breaker would open.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    Another tidbit that I learned from that ordeal is that breakers are designed to stay closed with 80% of their load. For example, a 20 amp breaker can carry 16 amps all day, not 20 amps. It can handle surges to 20 amps, but only briefly. My WH would stay on for 15 seconds or so, then the breaker would open.
    That is exactly how they work.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Also, if this is a breaker that is a master feeding a ships service panel, it may be set up as a ground fault. I know that the 1978 boats had this, not sure about 1975. IF you have the white breakers next to the four pole ships service breakers, then that is a ground fault and those do go bad.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks for the responses,good info