Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

FlyBridge Helm hydrolic leak @ base of wheel

PITA.
    A gasket?
    Boat Yard's telling me I need this:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seast...pCode=14660864

No replacement gaskets?
    Rebuild kits?

Re: FlyBridge Helm hydrolic leak @ base of wheel

Fire them.

Start here, $30-$40

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/support-2/service-parts/service-parts-hynautic-helms/

I
    f you're not up to doing it yourself one of the old Hatts will be coming along soon and telling you who will do it for a few hundred.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I just finished putting seals in both helms. Seal kits are around $48 . If you don’t want to do it yourself, Marine Control Systems Inc will do it for you. 828-508-4201, great company.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

A lot of times replacing the seals will stop the leak. It’s not particularly difficult but it’s not very intuitive as to how it comes apart. There’s also not a source for the piston rings that I’m aware of. Once you get it on a bench remove the back plate and remove the pin in the steering shaft and then you can remove the shaft from the body. The top plate then slides down the shaft to get to the seals.

99.9% of the time it’s just the shaft seal since dirt grit can get down in it there is no reason to replace any other seals. You should just have to remove the top plate and replace the seal.i just did one of mine $3.81 from a local hydraulic supply
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Yes, Fire that C S shop.
    Re-seal the pump or have it re-sealed.
    I have a great and authorized Hynautic/SeaStar shop in Jax FL that does great work.

If the top plate has corrosion (mine did) the plates themselves are available in a double seal model Unfortunately I saw this AFTER I put it all back together and it is weeping again. Next time I pull it apart I'll be replacing the top plate with one of the double seal models. Not sure where I saw them but I'm sure a little googling will find them.

Inside of the units is pretty robust, sounds like just a seal on yours is leaking. No reason at all to buy the new helm pump.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL