Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Quick electrical question for you "technical historians"!

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Rusty, please please do not put in 110V AC underwater lights.
    Just get a voltage reducer to use with some 24v led underwater lights.
    There is at least one manufacturer selling marine 120v underwater lights, I don’t remember the name off hand. They were HID and installed on many new yachts a few years back. There was a power supply inside the transom so i believe the bulbs were lower voltage. The lazzara 84 i run had them but when one failed I had them replaced by 24V LEDs since by then they were 7 years old.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

my 1977 46 hatt sf was 12 volt. my 1972 58yf was 32 and now is 12
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    I would expect that they went away from the 32v system the same time they went away from the series 71 engines.
    On the 53 that would be '83-'84-ish...... then the very last '85-'86 I think were 6V92's

Are the '83-'84 to end 53's not 32V....?
    Last edited by oscarvan; 02-20-2020 at 12:46 AM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

32V was a function of engine size. Back in the 60's and 70's, if you had big enough diesels, you needed 32v systems to be able to get electrical starters and wire sizes small enough to start them.

For Hatteras, that meant that the boats with smaller engines, up to and including the 43Dc, had 12v systems. The 53 and larger had 32v systems and those continued throughout the AMF years. Genmar phased them out in the late 80's.

I have owned my 53 with 6v92's for 16 years and have never had a problem sourcing anything I have needed to maintain my 32v system.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

OK, got this from the head engineer at Hatteras who used to be in charge of electrical systems. They switched from 32 to 24 volt in 2000. He wasn't sure of the first serial number but said if you call Hatteras directly they can tell you.
    Last edited by finatic; 02-20-2020 at 07:48 AM.

Paul has changed departments at Hatterass.
    Contact C.D. Piner <cpiner@ha******yachts.com> for exact dates and support.

BTW
    We still run our 42 year old 32Vdc boat with ole Detroit's. NOTHING could be simpler.

In addition to DDs being very simple engines which will run forever when cared for, you have another advantage on an older boat like a Hatteras: when I repowered my 36 convertible, 1971 vintage, Cummins "remans" were available which are mechanically injected diesels. They don't have ECUs, common rail pumps, or any of that. They make plenty of power, the boat will do thirty knots, and they are clean and reliable. Mechanical Cummins diesels are available up into the 450hp range, I think. And they start and run on 12vdc. Although, honestly, if an older Hatteras has been decently maintained, you're going to spend a lot more time and effort on things other than the 32vdc system. That will not be one of your worries.