Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stabilizer installation question.....

Were all 53's reinforced when built where the stabilizers would mount whether so equipped or not?

The 53MY I was on today had a pretty solid FRP "box" in the engine room which still had the mounting bracket of the fin on it. It looked like it was done at birth.... (fins and rest of system had been removed)....

So I was wondering if one were to install fins on a boat that never had them whether the hull reinforcement/pad would be there ready to go.....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Re: Stabilizer installation question.....

Not sure what year the 53 you looked at was made, but many boats were "finished off" by the dealer after leaving the factory. Our boat had a Naiad 252 system installed by Hatteras of Ft Lauderdale prior to delivery to it's first owner.

When we replaced the Naiads with the Vetus system a few years ago, I was surprised how "thin" the hull was in that section. You will see photos of the hull thickness in the posts of the project. (Search Stabiliser or Hull Thickness). The average hull thickness was just over 1/2 inch. The new wooden blocks were Sikaflexed to the inside of the hull and fibreglass/epoxied to the front and back of the block/hull. With ten bolts from the outside it's never going to move.

I'd suggest that the boat you viewed had the wooden blocks fibreglassed over for cosmetic reasons or it was to obtain the exact height required when they installed stabilisers. Our new wooden blocks were soaked in Everdure liquid paint epoxy and are bare but waterproof. In the original Naiad installation drawings they show some fibreglass to be placed on the fore/aft of block wall and hull.

I would try and find a stabilised boat if you go out to sea. Even on Sydney Harbour they stop the rolling from other big boat wakes.

Good luck in your quest.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 02-19-2020 at 08:09 AM.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

When we removed the vosper Mini fins last year to install the Trac I was also surprised to see how thin the hull was around the holes. I had my fiberglass guy lay another 1/2” of glass in the area extending a few inches up the hull side and outer stringer

The original Vospers were installed a few months after delivery by Merryl Stevens here in Miami... I have the invoice in the file ...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thank you, I believe you answered my question: "It depends....." LOL. I know what to look for now. these mounts were blocks about 12" to 14" square and at least 3" thick with a LOT of bolts. Someone did a nice job. Unfortunately the system itself was no longer there.

BTW, the boat was 1981.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Our 61 had stabilizers installed at the factory according to the records I have . The blocks are round and have at least two layers of woven roving covering them. If you can get a Niad installation manual , it will describe the recommended bracing for all types of hull construction.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Also , I have heard that a Niad stabilizer system is about $60,000 today , I bet that Trac is expensive too. Try to find a boat that has it installed.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    Also , I have heard that a Niad stabilizer system is about $60,000 today , I bet that Trac is expensive too. Try to find a boat that has it installed.
    That would be nice, IF the boat otherwise checks all the boxes. It's a nice to have, not a MUST have. As an aside, I would be willing to tackle the installation myself which would bring it down to about 30K.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Just got my quote back from Naiad $62,000 installed and yes there is a block that gets glassed in to add thickness where the fins go. Naiad supplies it with there package. I am going to do all the electrical work to help lower that price some. I am also waiting for a quote from ABT will let you know when I get it, but don’t expect it to be much different. My breakdown was $35,000 for Naiad parts, $20,000 for install and $7,000 for hoses and misc. parts. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Were all 53's reinforced when built where the stabilizers would mount whether so equipped or not?
    The answer is no.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

$62k for Naiads installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Just got my quote back from Naiad $62,000 installed and yes there is a block that gets glassed in to add thickness where the fins go. Naiad supplies it with there package. I am going to do all the electrical work to help lower that price some. I am also waiting for a quote from ABT will let you know when I get it, but don’t expect it to be much different. My breakdown was $35,000 for Naiad parts, $20,000 for install and $7,000 for hoses and misc. parts. John
    Ouch. I liked that $40k estimate a lot better. Now I may need to seriously consider a reinstall of my Gyro- Gales when I get the boat back down to San Diego in March.