Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wanted bow rails for Hatteras 36C series I (1972)

Wanted bow rails for Hatteras 36C series I (1972). I recently bought "Milk Money". A previous owner removed the rails and grab rails. I would like to replace those for the purpose of fishing.

Re: Wanted bow rails for Hatteras 36C series I (1972)

Your best bet is probably to go to a tower builder/welder and have them made for the boat. I doubt you can get originals anymore unless someone is taking a set off a boat.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

You fish off the front?
    The stanchions can either be mounted to the toe rail or deck, I prefer the deck to keep them out of harms way a little.

Whatever you do make sure the stanchion pads are caulked correctly or it won't be long before you will be spending a ton of $$$$ fixing a soft deck.
    We eliminated our rail because I was tired of fixing the soft spots, could never get it fastened correctly no matter what we did.
    My crew was pissed at first but quickly got used to the bow without the rail.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Were planning on removing bow rails from a 46C this spring if that would help you?

There might be an old set at Slane Marine. There is an online bankruptcy sale about to happen. If anyone had a takeoff set of them, it would be Tom; he redid several of those boats.

There is a metal plate molded into the toe rail, I believe, which holds the bolts which hold the stanchion bases to the toe rail. This is actually a very good system if it's maintained and if you don't use bronze bolts- they will corrode and waste away. SS bolts are much better- 316 if you can find them from McMaster-Carr.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    There might be an old set at Slane Marine. There is an online bankruptcy sale about to happen. If anyone had a takeoff set of them, it would be Tom; he redid several of those boats.
    Thanks for the advice. I checked that and did not see any.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    There is a metal plate molded into the toe rail, I believe, which holds the bolts which hold the stanchion bases to the toe rail. This is actually a very good system if it's maintained and if you don't use bronze bolts- they will corrode and waste away. SS bolts are much better- 316 if you can find them from McMaster-Carr.
    Excellent advice! Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
    Were planning on removing bow rails from a 46C this spring if that would help you?
    Check your PM's. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    You fish off the front?
    The stanchions can either be mounted to the toe rail or deck, I prefer the deck to keep them out of harms way a little.

Whatever you do make sure the stanchion pads are caulked correctly or it won't be long before you will be spending a ton of $$$$ fixing a soft deck.
    We eliminated our rail because I was tired of fixing the soft spots, could never get it fastened correctly no matter what we did.
    My crew was pissed at first but quickly got used to the bow without the rail.
    On calm days for giant Red Drum in the Pamlico Sound. Occasionally while offshore bottom fishing conditions permitting