Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Splash Guard Access

So, my 1972 43 foot double cabin had some damage done to her in a windstorm, before they pulled her out for the season. The starboard side splash guard needs to be replaced. My mechanic is unsure on how to access it, thinking that it is bolted through from the inside. It appears the gas tanks are in the way, from the interior. Any suggestions on how to access/replace the splash guards?

Re: Splash Guard Access

My rails are just screwed in to the hull, in fact you can see the screws on the inside, John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Hello, I had my stainless trim off last year to plug some sloppy screw holes and re bed. With the trim off I could see counterbore holes with washers and nuts in them. I was thinking if those are removed, with some careful prying and hope the rail would slide off. My fasteners are behind my tanks also. Hope it helps.

Walt Hoover

Thank you. Walt - how do you get behind the tanks (fuel)? Is there room between the hull and the tank to reach down?

Hello,

No I can't really get behind my tanks. I'm thinking that if you loosen the nuts on the outside hopefully the bolt is bedded firmly enough to not turn inside the boat. There is not a lot of room between my tanks and the hull side.

Walt Hoover

if you unscrew that panel on the front of the aft bathroom cabinet, youll see the muffler and maybe get
    a glimpse of the fasteners to answer the question.
    if need be, the bed platform top can be cut out pretty easily and reinstalled. you should have access all the way to the stern from there.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

This picture shows the fastener between the copper pipes. This view is from the access panel in the master shower. Photo Jan 04, 8 19 09 AM.jpg
    If you look closely on the right hand side of the bottom pic with the valve you'll see a blob of sealant. Also, on the left side just under the valve handle is another "un blobbed" fastener. This view is from the access panel just below the sink in the master.

Photo Jan 04, 8 18 11 AM.jpg

This is on a 53 MY so your boat may be different but open any access panels you can find. You might be surprised at what you find back there
    Good luck.
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD