Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

52 convertible listing to port?

My new to me 1985 52c is listing to port a couple degrees. Prior owner stated that he removed the very heavy battery bank that was outboard and near the front of the starboard engine. New placement is a strip of 6 car sized batteries in the walkway between the engines and they are closer to portside.

Prior to this change the boat sat level at rest. I can't move any components in the engine room to offset, not even tools. Any chance of factory lead ballast installed portside? I do not see any in the engine room, where else to look?

With 2 good size men sitting on starboard gunnel near the tackle station it seems to balance. If i have to add ballast should it go in the ER or lazarette? thanks

*galley down 2 stateroom model

Re: 52 convertible listing to port?

What are your freshwater tank levels at?

Fuel levels are fore/aft and shouldn't affect balance but when aft fuel tank is full the list should be much less pronounced.

Any tools or storage items you could shift inside the boat?

Spare props under the cockpit? Shafts? Anything that could be shifted to re-distribute.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

My 43 lists to port as well which I take to be the extra battery bank and the generator. I was thinking granite countertops on the starboard side. Hey, it's necessary to trim the boat.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

As above check water tanks.
    If port tank full and stbd. Empty our 52c will list slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowncar View Post
    My new to me 1985 52c is listing to port a couple degrees. Prior owner stated that he removed the very heavy battery bank that was outboard and near the front of the starboard engine. New placement is a strip of 6 car sized batteries in the walkway between the engines and they are closer to portside.

Prior to this change the boat sat level at rest. I can't move any components in the engine room to offset, not even tools. Any chance of factory lead ballast installed portside? I do not see any in the engine room, where else to look?

With 2 good size men sitting on starboard gunnel near the tackle station it seems to balance. If i have to add ballast should it go in the ER or lazarette? thanks

*galley down 2 stateroom model
    On Aslan, I found some lead pigs under the muffler. You gotta really be looking for them.

With the addition of a Quicklift davit to port and removal of the standby 20KW generator to starboard, about #850 was needed to balance her out. This was accomplished via #25 bags of lead shot. Rearranging the ER (mostly tools), I reduced that number to #600. PO had placed the shot bags under the exhaust against the transom. Since Aslan runs most efficiently on plane with full tabs, I moved the ballast forward about 12' against the rear ER bulkhead; this location is also slightly more outboard. The bulk of the lost weight was the removed generator, so I felt re-ballasting in the same general location made sense. This also lowered the center of gravity as well.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

If your 52c is like mine and the fridge is to Stbd......you are obviously out of beer!!

I have a 2008 60gt, and there was a few hundred pounds of lead placed outside and under my port fish boxes. We removed while boat is in yard, but are going to slowly add when get back in the water and see if still needed as much. You could check the same areas.

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    What are your freshwater tank levels at?

Fuel levels are fore/aft and shouldn't affect balance but when aft fuel tank is full the list should be much less pronounced.

Any tools or storage items you could shift inside the boat?

Spare props under the cockpit? Shafts? Anything that could be shifted to re-distribute.
    We are loaded down with full (fuel & water) tanks. All weight that can be shifted has been.

Quote Originally Posted by finatic View Post
    If your 52c is like mine and the fridge is to Stbd......you are obviously out of beer!!
    Well my fridge is to port. We just upgraded to a new unit and saved about 40 lbs. Also i only stock it with "light beer" so that can't be part of the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Blowncar View Post
    Well my fridge is to port. We just upgraded to a new unit and saved about 40 lbs. Also i only stock it with "light beer" so that can't be part of the problem
    bwhahaa, you gonna fit in fine here bud!! Welcome Home!
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL