Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

KVH or Intellian?

Time to upgrade, but which brand is better bang for the buck and which size dish? We have an old KVH M5 that has been upgraded but is now on its last legs. We want to get Dish network.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Re: KVH or Intellian?

I think they both work equally well, but the better priced units are in standard def, which will no longer be able to receive signals soon. So, you have to get the HD version of any antenna, which is a huge price change. I would base a purchase on the cheapest HD antenna I could find.

About 18 months ago I replaced a failed KVH M6 with an intelian i6 on the lazzara 84 I run. Works great. I discussed KVH ve Intelian with the installer who could do either. He mentioned the new KVH controllers run a lot hotter than the older ones and ventilation was critical. Don’t know if that’s still the case.

The boat I ran before had an M5 and we d loose reception at the northern tip of Great Exumas. The larger M7 or I 6 works at least to White Cay at the south end of little ex
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Interesting you should say that about the M5 since loss of reception near Great Exuma is what prompted this post. Even so our unit is down to receiving one satellite (129) out of three. The last tech that looked at it said that there is an issue with the PCB. Luckily in South Florida 129 carries the local channels as well as 95% of the cable we like to watch.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

I've had Intellian for years running Dish Network HD on three satellites. It has worked flawlessly. I never have to think about it. Just turn it on and it works.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

We loose the local channel much sooner as the footprint is smaller. I think they work in NAS. Not sure though I don’t care for network TV

The signal loss was really well defined. At Lee Stocking or near Barraterre it would work great and just 15 miles down in Gtown nothing.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Locals worked in NAS, but not much farther south. We watch PBS sometimes, but the Admiral needs to be able to record her “stories” to watch before I get up. She also records her shows on network tv. We did the trick with an external hard drive like a member posted here and it works just great.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

I got a stand-alone DVR recorder for $100 or so and love it. It capture anything off HDMI and I can record pretty much anything from directTV or AppleTV.

I can then store the recording on a big network drive. No more DVDs and it work even without internet.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Will it record from Netflix or BritBox and Acorn? There is a lot of streaming content that I’d like to watch without a WiFi connection. It would be handy to play it and record it at the same time to watch later.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

I ve used it with appleTV recording Amazon Prime, Apple purchased movies and a few more. Never tried Netflix but it should work.

It records to a USB stick. Only annoyance is that it splits long recording in about 20’ files but without any loss. I use a video converter on my PC (WinDVX) to stitch them and convert them to MP4 (one click operation) which I then copy to a 2TB network drive. On AppleTV I use Infuse Player to play the movies. The nice thing about infuse is that the meta data (cover image etc ) is stored and not downloaded everytime so it works off the web in the Bahamas

Other thins is that while you can program a start time for a recording, it doesn’t support multiple events.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat