Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Hargrave

Re: Jack Hargrave

The one thing I have never liked about the Lazzara designs is that the foredeck is too short and gives the boat a stubby look. More room inside though but not as balanced aesthetically. Quality wise their construction was excellent With good system designs and accessibility

The 2009 84 that I ve been running for almost 4 years now, only burns 75 GPH at 20 kts in calm waters. That’s about 20% less than other boats that size. It also gets on plane with almost no bow rise, in fact the boat doesn’t even have trim tabs... doesn’t need them. Fast cruise is 25kts and tops at 32.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I don't think it's an ugly boat, except for those oval portlights, which I don't think look as good as the rectangular ones. But she does look topheavy to me. However, it's your money, and you should buy what pleases you.

If you compare that boat with some modern MY designs, she sure looks better and better. I think the classic Hatteras MYs were some of the prettiest boats ever built, but they do lack interior room when you compare them to the competition that came along during the very long run of the original larger Hatteras MYs.

The part of your own boat that you look at the most IS the interior... you probably made the right choice for you. At least you didn't buy a Sea Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    These are many of the misses that the Hatteras design had. I think it was more of just being outdated, though. I never understood the flush deck as opposed to a raised pilot house design (which eventually took over). In the 2000's Hatt started making a raised pilot house design. A usable cockpit is required for people that actually recreate on their boat.

As for the contest, who actually is the winner?
    If you re not fishing a big swimplatform with stairs is all you need but what is critical to most is a big aft deck. Unfortunately hatteras reduces aft deck size in the 90s focusing on interior space. It may work up north but doesn’t work in Fl and the Bahamas.

As to the flush deck design, this Is why Hargrave and Hatteras were so successful in the 70s and 80s. No steps no stairs all in one level. Back then split level MYs were common but Hargrave was able to make it work on boats as small as 50’. Brilliant.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Too bad the engine room isn't air conditioned too. That would make working on it so nice.
    Geeeze Scott - you're such a prima dona😜

Just get Down here for my electrical upgrades while the weather is still comfortable.

Are we adding the engine room ac?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    Ummmm....I'm about to take some heat for this but... what the hey???

First let me say that I shopped for many years for a Hatteras. The joke on the forum was that Krush and I competed for the title of longest boat shopper. Even Freeeebird, was wondering if I'd ever buy a boat.

Ok, I really REALLY wanted a Hatteras. I have the utmost respect for Jack Hargrave and the build quality from our friends in New Bern NC.

For sportfish convertables, Nothing beats the 36-45 Hatts.

Then I began looking at 58-65 Motoryachts and this is where Jack missed the boat and Lazarra excelled. You will find this range of Hatts with miss steps such as a split engine room and a ladder from the lower helm as the only access to the flybridge. Compare that to the spacious engine room on my boat and a proper staircase from the salon to the flybridge.

As far as referring to the Lazarra design as a "thing" well, see for yourself. I don't think my boat is ugly at all but beauty is in the eye they say.

I am wearing my asbestos suit so let the flaming begin.
    No flaming. At times spirited but always civilized discussion is one of the reasons I like this forum.

That said, you're slightly talking peaches and kumquats here. I'm in the 53-58 range, you're beyond that. I was talking about the "thing" in the picture below. Your boat is certainly not ugly. It's not a timeless masterpiece either . In all fairness, neither are all of Jacks. Humor me and allow me to speculate on a familiar theme: Like the fate that befalls all designers, I suspect that pressure from others at the table forced him to do things like the early 58 with the wall of windows which makes it, to me, a "thing" too. Marketing said "the customer wants a wider salon!" and the beancounters said "we're not building a new mold! 1510 or the highway" And Jack was in the middle making a 58' wide body on a 1510..... not gonna work. Finally everyone gave in, they went to 18-6 and viola the later 58 (with the side decks) was once again an aesthetic masterpiece. That, the 53MY and as we recently discovered the 70TC are, in my eyes designs that belong in the book with the E-type, the Concorde and Falling Waters. And yes, my engine rooms will have AC, of course.

Below the Lazzara thing, and the proper 58
    Attached Images
    Last edited by oscarvan; 02-22-2020 at 12:22 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

The 1510 58 and the 53. Of course we're purely talking aesthetics here. The utility of a side deck versus the trek through the salon with dripping foulies on the Nazmiyal rugs is a whole different discussion.
    Attached Images
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Well Oscarvan, you're being far too civil. I'd take off my asbestos suit if not for the fact Freeebird has not chimed in yet.

I agree with everything said so far. This is a better side profile of Lazarra's late 80's MY design. I have to admit, i now can't not stop seeing the Winnebago comparison. Not necesssrily a bad thing, just a funny observation.

The Hargrave exterior lines are much more timeless and gracefully applied. BUT, those nice lines sacrifice valuable interior space which is important for a liveaboard.
    Attached Images

I ve never cared for the looks of the 1510 58 MY. In the pictures above you can see how the house was stretched forward and the boat lost the proportions of the 53.

In a way boats are like cars and even airplane. A long foredeck, like a long hood, looks a lot better. But yes you loose interior space.

The 76 Lazzara, which was launched in the mid 90s and was the first boat sold under the Lazzara name after they split with Viking, is a pretty good looking boat.

Now if you want to have nightmares look up the new Elada 85 which Lazzara in building at their new yard in Turkey...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    What calamity befell you requiring the need to stencil “FWD” on the bulkhead?
    He's trying to tell us his engine room is so big, it needs directions. He also tends to drink.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    It’s all good if you only go out on calm days or for the annual trip to the fuel dock. But it does look like a Winnebago mounted to a deck boat hull. No offense I’m sure it’s a great live aboard.
    It doesn't look like a Winnebago, it just looks like it hit a dock a little too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle View Post
    Give credit where due.

The bulkhead is properly labeled FWD.

This helps when you re-power.

Bruce

Freestyle
    Tampa
    Like someone might accidentally install the engines facing the wrong direction?

I still think my explanation is the correct one.
    Last edited by Freeebird; 02-22-2020 at 02:12 PM.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93