Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Hargrave

Re: Jack Hargrave

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Half of the sailboats out there run Perkins and those only have 2000hrs on them. It looks pretty good. My dad's was a 1984 also. He had it for ten years and put over 1500hrs on his. I've been out in some pretty nasty seas in it on Lake Michigan an it handled great (and it wasn't stabilized). The CG is really low on that boat. And it had more room in the galley and dinette than my 53. Plus two queen staterooms which we don't have now.

The weak point was the A/C as it had only one unit which was ducted throughout the boat. Other than that, it was great. I liked the single sea chest strainer and sea chest discharges. No thru-hull fittings on that boat.
    I wouldn’t think there are many sailboats out there with that particular Perkins, but again, parts availability and pricing seem to be the concern. They would do well to put 100 hours a year on them, but that too could change. May still be worth a look.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

This particular Gulfstar is owned by a good friend of mine. We went to the Abacos on this boat two years ago. So ,it does leave the dock. I ran it myself on a six hour leg. The owner has just completed some serious engine work , so it should not need anything major very soon. These engines are fairly rare, so I don’t know about parts support.
    I have to say that the Perkins in my generators and my MF tractor are very reliable.
    Last edited by jmooney; 02-23-2020 at 11:26 PM.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    What a strange layout...up steps, now down, up again....down two sets....back up...i'd get lost! Down an awkward ladder to the swim platform. Impossible to dock single-handed.
    Plus it’s fugly. I can’t see this monstrosity being a great sea boat.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    This particular Gulfstar is owned by a good friend of mine. We went to the Abacos on this boat two years ago. So ,it does leave the dock. I ran it myself on a six hour leg. The owner has just completed some serious engine work , so it should not need anything major very soon. These engines are fairly rare, so I don’t know about parts support.
    I have to say that the Perkins in my generators and my MF tractor are very reliable.
    Thanks for your input. It’s always good to get information from those who are personally familiar with a listing. Any chance you could put me in touch with the owner?

I’ll PM you my contact information.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Plus it’s fugly. I can’t see this monstrosity being a great sea boat.
    Who buys that type of boat to primary run offshore?

I personally think it’s a great looking boat for that style. The enclosed rear deck is what makes it look a little top heavy. As others have pointed out, Hatteras had a few of those mid-bridge/tri-level models. The 40DC I delivered a while back required coming down steps to the aft deck with more steps down to the side deck, but it wasn’t difficult to single hand.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    The enclosed rear deck is what makes it look a little top heavy.
    I'm just not a fan of the big slab sided walls with large black windows in it. The rest of the boat is OK, but that apartment on the back looks like home yacht design executed in Home Depot...... To say that it doesn't flow would be an understatement.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

You guys need to keep up the bashing so the owner will come to realize how ugly it is. Maybe then he’ll lower the price to where we can look at repowering it. Maybe replace those Massey-Ferguson’s with John Deere’s to preserve the tractor heritage while assuring we can get parts.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Does anybody think the hatteras 52 MY was a good looking boat ?

In the south east the only time MY owners are going to run offshore is when crossing to the Bahamas and that’s only 50nm... for most owners layout comes before sea keeping
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Does anybody think the hatteras 52 MY was a good looking boat ?
    Same "thing" with that box on the back deck. I guess all the kids were doing it.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Pascal, even Hatteras built some ugly boats....although they were at least well-made. Come to think of it, that may not be doing everyone a favor, since well-built boats hand around longer....

Unlike ... say a Carver Mariner! The most uglyiest boat ever build but thankfully none are likely to survive more than 20 years
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat