Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DC voltage conversion

I am considering converting the DC electrical on my 58YF from 32V to 24V. Anyone on the HOF like to offer any 'lessons learned' or other advise/opinion?? Also, there is a long DC terminal block on the forward bulkhead of my port engine room. I do not have a wiring diagram for this block and I cannot find many of the wire numbers on other wiring schematics. Does anyone on the forum have the schematic for this block?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Michael & Cindy Ewing
    Southern Comfort
    1977 Hatteras 58YF
    Hull # HATAN 432

Re: DC voltage conversion

Before you do it, make a list of what has to be changed out and price it. The list gets pretty long:
    Windlass motor, toilet motors, vent fans, lights, autopilot pump, water pumps, bilge pumps, chargers, inverters, any step down converters, starters, alternators, etc, etc, etc....................................
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

There is indeed a lot of things to convert and replace which gets pricey. Is it worth it? Depends...

I converted my 53 to 24v but that was because I was repowering and rewiring the whole boat. Almost 50 years old with questionable untinned wiring... it was time. Let me just say that the hatteras wiring quality left a lot to be desired back in 1970... I knew it worked almost 50 years but it was a way past time to re do it all. I found things like port and stbd shorepower connections made with a crimped copper tube and a lot of electrical tape

Now Hatteras greatly improved the electricals throughout the 70s So your wiring is likely better

Wiring for lights isn’t much of an issue since you ll likely switch to LEDs. Concern is bulge pumps but not too hard to rewire

An option to consider is keep the engines 32v and go with 24v for house with a new battery bank. Saves replacing the alternators, starters, gauges etc. my factory remans Cummins are 12v so I have an 8D for each engine, a house bank and G31 for the generator. You need to add a 24v alternator to one of the mains to charge the house bank if the genset fails though.

Bottom line, I sleep much better at night with a new elecrical system...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    An option to consider is keep the engines 32v and go with 24v for house with a new battery bank. Saves replacing the alternators, starters, gauges etc. --------------- You need to add a 24v alternator to one of the mains to charge the house bank if the genset fails though
    This is my plan, with the exception of utilizing a B2B instead of an additional alternator.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I changed my YF to 12 volts, 9, maybe 10 years ago. One of the best things I have done to the boat. About $6,000 to $7,000 in parts. Every thing from adding starter relays, changing heads, alternators, starters, bilge pumps, the list goes on and on.

I did it over a winter, started on the must have and worked my way down to incendentals.

I will never carry a 8V 8D all of my batteries are G31s including the inverter.

I remember some pushback when I did the battery refit. The only thing not 12 is the windlass, it's 24 with a dedacated charger.

8 8 volt batteries are now $3,000+, I call replace all 19 batteries for $2100, and I don't need help.

Like others said, it is a big job. If you have questions on me I will send you my number.

Hope this helps
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

8 - 8v Rolls can be had for less than $2000, but your point regarding the weight of moving them is well taken.
    Sky Cheney

Where did you get 8V Rolls for $2000 for eight batteries?
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

I've posted it here several times. I'll have to look it up. Its a railroad supply company out of Pennsylvania.
    Sky Cheney

Thanks,Jim
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

While Hatteras seems very conservative in their wire sizes, reducing from 32 to 24 volts may cause some undersize wiring problems. Ampacity, not voltage, determines proper wire size. To do the same amount of work, a 24 volt source needs 33% more amps than a 32, possibly overheating the wire.
    Of course, all circuit breakers will have to be upsized to handle the additional current, again possibly causing a problem if the existing wire is not sufficient for it.