Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Where are the 58 Tri-Cabins?

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Yes, this one doesn't even look good in the pictures.

Moving furniture every time you want to work on the motors is a PITA.
    Realistically, what kind of work would that be, and how often would you do it?

Routine maintenance is easily accomplished through just the center hatch.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Realistically, what kind of work would that be, and how often would you do it?

Routine maintenance is easily accomplished through just the center hatch.
    Although I may never reach the same level of cosmic enlightenment and purity displayed in the bilges of Aslan, I am a student of that school, and have achieved reasonable levels of success in previous boats I've owned.

In other words I spend a LOT of time fawning over power plants and bilges. I play with electrical systems and plumbing. One, it's a matter of safety and money, I mean who likes engine failures enroute right two I like doing it. Good therapy. So "routine maintenance" to me is a LOT more than than checking the oil, and for once engine room(s) I can breathe and stand up in are going to be my play ground.

That and I'm not getting any younger and the pretzel game is getting old too.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

“Cosmic enlightenment?”

Sounds like the 58TC is THE perfect boat for you. Just install acrylic hatches and make the ER the focal point of the salon!
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

“Cosmic enlightenment?”

Sounds like the 58TC is THE perfect boat for you. Just install acrylic hatches and make the ER the focal point of the salon!
    Hmmm, I actually like that idea. Let me run that by the Admiral......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

One of the 70 foot versions that had been repowered with C-18 Cats just sold for $250,000. Not a bad deal. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    That answer is simple. Go to the 70 footer series I of the same design. They have stand up engineroom. IMHO with the lines drawn out to 70 ft it's a more graceful profile.
    I remember the 70 stopping in Cape May 1974 on the way to the America’s cup races. She served as the committee boat and Hatt also sent a 53C and 45C with huge towing bits in the cockpits to to the sailboats out to the course. The 70 was HUGE for the day as there were not that many boats of that size then.
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    The 58 MY series one is similar to a 53MY in that it has the split engine rooms. The 58 Tri Cabin, looks more like a 43DC like you have with a lower salon with the engine room below that. Which one are you searching for?

58 MY series II

58 Tri Cabin
    Sky: I had the lower one in mind. The upper ones have stayed pricey. Now the 70' mentioned did have classic lines! With stabs you would have though they would have had a good ride. There are charts for length to beam ratios and modern large craft are nowhere close to the ratios specified for ocean running; too much beam. Even the older 43' and 53' Hatts meet that test: e.g., step up on the gunnel, and they roll less than 6"'s.
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 02-24-2020 at 12:41 AM.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Hmmm, I actually like that idea. Let me run that by the Admiral......
    The Sears Tower observation floor comes to your salon!
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    The 58 MY series one is similar to a 53MY in that it has the split engine rooms. The 58 Tri Cabin, looks more like a 43DC like you have with a lower salon with the engine room below that. Which one are you searching for?

58 MY series II

58 Tri Cabin
    I would have to disagree about the 58TC looking like a 43DC, even though they share the same configuration where the ER under the salon floor is concerned. The pilothouse on the TC is fully enclosed, climate controlled and separate, and they were very much wide bodies like the 58MY from the wing doors back. Most of the later ones have the aft section (open on the early versions) fully enclosed for a full beam, upper salon. That's the way mine was, and that's the way the one I mentioned is.

It belonged to a HOF'er (whose name escapes me) but has a number of custom touches which include sliding side doors like a 58MY with the wing doors having been glassed in. You may remember the boat I'm talking about. It is an exceptional boat.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I would have to disagree about the 58TC looking like a 43DC, even though they share the same configuration where the ER under the salon floor is concerned. The pilothouse on the TC is fully enclosed, climate controlled and separate, and they were very much wide bodies like the 58MY from the wing doors back. Most of the later ones have the aft section (open on the early versions) fully enclosed for a full beam, upper salon. That's the way mine was, and that's the way the one I mentioned is.

It belonged to a HOF'er (whose name escapes me) but has a number of custom touches which include sliding side doors like a 58MY with the wing doors having been glassed in. You may remember the boat I'm talking about. It is an exceptional boat.
    I wrote "looks more like". That means the 58TC "looks more like" a 43DC than a 53MY. Quincy said that he was looking for a 58 that looked like a stretched 53. I wondered if he might have meant the 58 series 1 as that is more of a stretched 53ED. But as it turns out, he meant the 58TC. So now maybe we can actually address his original question as to where these boats are and why you don't see many advertised for sale.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI