Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Loss of steering at the lower helm

Went to use Benedetto the other day and had no steering at the pilot house helm. Fly bridge worked as advertised as well as the A/P. It’s hard to tell the fluid level in the reservoir but it might be low. There is less then 10psi on the gauge so there’s that as well. What’s weird is, no extra fluid visible were it shouldn’t be and why is the upper helm working instead of visa versa?

Side note: while I was cleaning the upper helm I must have bumped the A/P on. Took me a while to realize the noise I thought was somebody else’s boat was actually my A/P pump working away. Obviously I turned it off until we needed it enroute. All this shortly before I discovered the complete lack of steering south.

Thoughts besides add fluid and pressure?
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Re: Loss of steering at the lower helm

You can try but typically if the system is low on fluid or air, the upper helm is the first one to go.

Top it off and then bleed both helms by turning until you get a stop then the other way till opposite lock.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

PSI should be 25 lbs.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Did you check for fluid leak at the AP ram?

I didn't think to check the ram because the auto pilot was working properly.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Wouldn’t think a ram leak would affect only the lower station. As we discussed, I’ve lost steering from top to bottom via a near ram leak, and the AP was the only thing that halfway worked toward the end. I’m no expert, but losing that lower station and still having the upper baffles me. I’ll be looking forward to seeing what turns out to be the culprit.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Wouldn’t think a ram leak would affect only the lower station. As we discussed, I’ve lost steering from top to bottom via a near ram leak, and the AP was the only thing that halfway worked toward the end. I’m no expert, but losing that lower station and still having the upper baffles me. I’ll be looking forward to seeing what turns out to be the culprit.
    Not familiar with the innards, but Hynautic lists a bunch of seal kits for the help pumps..... wouldn't it just be a spinner if they fail?

Does the autopilot generally have it's own ram on the rudder mechanism? It did on my last boat which provided much needed redundancy. Or is it just another pump in line on the main system? Less redundancy......
    Last edited by oscarvan; 02-17-2020 at 02:14 PM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

As I mentioned earlier, low fluid always affect things from the highest point. I once had a fluid cooler failure on a power steering hynautic while returning from BIM on AP. Fluid was being dumped over board . When I disengaged the AP to make the turn into Cale Florida... at 24kts... the wheel just spun and spun and spun. Quickly re engaged the AP which worked fine for a few more minutes letting me make the turn then center the rudder and finished the trip across the bay steering with engines.

Sounds to me like a bad helm pump
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    As I mentioned earlier, low fluid always affect things from the highest point.
    I think Sadey mentioned it first.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I am in the process of rebuilding my helm pumps and steering cylinder. Also replacing the flexible hydraulic hoses. The Hynautic manual does not specifically mention this situation in the trouble shooting section, but it refers to a helm that keeps turning without stopping as have too much air in the helm pump. You probably need to make sure that sufficient hydraulic fluid is in the reservoir and proper charge is obtained (20-30 psi) and then bleed the system , starting with the highest helm.
    Hope that a simple fix is in the works. Jim
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL