Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trip to Keys

Trip to Keys

I am planning a trip to the keys during spring break (March 16th). I'll be coming from Melbourne, down the ICW to at least Stuart. What's the best route from then on? Also, if conditions are good, isn't the ocean back pretty economical with the Gulf Stream?
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Trip to Keys

Quote Originally Posted by Photolomy View Post
    I am planning a trip to the keys during spring break (March 16th). I'll be coming from Melbourne, down the ICW to at least Stuart. What's the best route from then on? Also, if conditions are good, isn't the ocean back pretty economical with the Gulf Stream?
    Stuart thru Miami has a lot of bridges. They are pretty well synchronized so 6 to 7 kts usually means no waiting.

Fun to run once if you haven’t done it but it s a very long day between Stuart and Miami

Outside is much faster. The stream isn’t a problem since it doesn’t get closer than a few miles.

From Miami on down you can take Hawk Channel outside the keys or if you draw 5’ or less you can run the Inside to marathon.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

If I were going to the lower Keys west of Marathon, I would cut across Okeechobee and turn left. Then you could come back via the ocean route and have the Florida loop under your belt while not having seen the same things twice.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

If you follow Freebirds advice please be aware it will be blowing like hell out of the SW the day you are going. Doesn’t matter what day you go, it will blow that day and be like glass the week before. Just how it works!😁😁

JK, have a great time. We have to wait for the globe to spin one more time before we can go again.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

If you take Freebird with you, as a bonus you might get some single engine time. Maybe even a dead stick approach or two!
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

I agree that the ICW to Miami is slower but fun to do, particularly if there are waves outside. Try staying at the first marina next to the inlet at Marathon and get a slip out at the end of the dock where you can watch sunsets from your boat. Also not to be missed is the perfectly protected anchorage halfway between Marathon and Key West that is "Newfound Harbor" between Big Pine Key and Little Torch Key. Go in and anchor anywhere and dinghy under the bridge to the dock at Kiki's Sandbar Grill for dinner. ALso dinghy to a dock at the big channel leading to the boat channels for homes at the NW corner of the anchorage for supplies. If you're a scuba diver, there's a dive site at a really excellent reef just outside the anchorage. The dive boat dock is on the NE side of the bridge, so you can dinghy there. Have fun!
    Last edited by Nonchalant1; 02-17-2020 at 10:40 AM.

If you want to splurge stay at the Boca Beach Club. Don't mention my name.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter1 View Post
    If you follow Freebirds advice please be aware it will be blowing like hell out of the SW the day you are going. Doesn’t matter what day you go, it will blow that day and be like glass the week before. Just how it works!

JK, have a great time. We have to wait for the globe to spin one more time before we can go again.
    Weather predictions aren’t my thing (even when I listen to and trust them) but I would let the weather dictate which direction (clockwise or counter) to make the trip, but the fun factor is indisputable, IMO. Then again, I like circles. Whoever heard of, “The Great There And Back” route?

Seriously, this was something I/we considered with the shakedown cruise with Sadey, but it was going to be a bumpy ride, even with two engines. If you were south of Stuart, that would change things. I’ve done it both ways, but unless I was on a tight timetable and willing/able to run on plane... you get the point.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Put it on the Underhill account!
    John Novotny
    1979 53 MY "Serenity" #567
    Baltimore, MD

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Is there anyplace we WOUID want to mention your name?
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93