Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Air handler freezing up

yeah and make sure it's R22 not R134A or R12 which automotive....I don't think R22 was ever used in cars

Yes, I just had it confirmed that my system is filled with R22, I’ll find out tomorrow what gas is available here.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    Yes, I just had it confirmed that my system is filled with R22, I’ll find out tomorrow what gas is available here.
    As of January 2020 the import or production of R22 in the USA is illegal.

Handling/buying it requires an HVAC license. I am not sure if it's still being sold officially.

There is some out there, and whatever is reclaimed can be reused. (Purity being debatable)

I can neither confirm nor deny that the R22 being sold on eBay appears on your doorstep within days no questions asked.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I meant to add to my earlier post that one of the blowers may be getting tired and needs to be replaced.

It may also be a corroded blower connection or the copper (not tinned) wire to the blower may be failing.

Australia no longer allows new R22 installs, but can still be serviced. Ocean Breeze in Florida has just quoted me for a complete R22 condensor for the twin cabin. Compressor has seized. Or can a new 110 volt compressor just be soldered in?
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    As of January 2020 the import or production of R22 in the USA is illegal.

Handling/buying it requires an HVAC license. I am not sure if it's still being sold officially.

There is some out there, and whatever is reclaimed can be reused. (Purity being debatable)

I can neither confirm nor deny that the R22 being sold on eBay appears on your doorstep within days no questions asked.
    I’m not in the United States.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

I couldn’t find any R22 for sale, so I had Rolle’s A/C Service take the water taxi out to the boat to service my system. $250 later, it works great again. He mentioned it was down to 20lbs, does that sound right? It was over 18 months ago that it needed another charge, obviously a very small leak. I think it would not have cost any more on the mainland to have a tech come to the boat and I’d have to up anchor and rent a marina slip for the day. At least a few things are not more expensive in the Bahamas!
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    I too can neither confirm or deny that the R22 on ebay came in what appeared to be a brand new container with factory seal...
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    I couldn’t find any R22 for sale, so I had Rolle’s A/C Service take the water taxi out to the boat to service my system. $250 later, it works great again. He mentioned it was down to 20lbs, does that sound right? It was over 18 months ago that it needed another charge, obviously a very small leak. I think it would not have cost any more on the mainland to have a tech come to the boat and I’d have to up anchor and rent a marina slip for the day. At least a few things are not more expensive in the Bahamas!
    You should be able to get a bottle of leak detector from an hvac shop if there are any around. liberally spray all connections to check for leaks. The most suspect (from my experience) is always the service valves, so I'd start there.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

He found one of the caps on a service valve was only hand tight and they were not the type with rubber seals. Given how slow the leak was that could very well be it.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht