Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Questions about overboard black water pump

We are in the Bahamas for the first time and I am soon going to have to empty my black tank. The first time I tried I neglected to prime the GalleyMaid pump (it had been unused for several years) and melted the rubber pump body. Luckily there is a pumpout here in Nassau and luckily I had a rebuild kit on board. When putting it together I lubed everything with dish soap in hopes of preventing another burn out. Now I we are heading to the Exumas where there are no pump out facilities and I will have to give it another try. I do have a couple of questions though.
    There is a priming plug and I have a water hose in the generator room, however the 3” hose going to the top of the black tank is just under the plug. When I try to fill the pump and the hose it just runs into the black tank, also having the prime plug removed prevents a vacuum from forming making it impossible to pull the black water up the hose to the pump. Should I just rely on the dish soap to lube the pump until it pulls the black water up to it?
    How much lift does this pump create? Can I test it with only 1/4 tank of black water or should I wait until it’s full up to 6” below the top? I assume that once the contents of the tank are drawn up and into the pump it will pump the tank down to empty, but is enough vacuum created to lift the contents 3’ up to the pump?
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Re: Questions about overboard black water pump

I don't know anything about how your system is set up, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express, so I'll give you what I know.

If you can get a little bit of water into the pump itself, that is what must happen. I don't know where your discharge is, but I would attempt to back fill from that outlet to the pump. Also I would fill black water tank the rest of the way with water to start the siphon process. Lastly, I assume you have a "Y" valve that has an overboard discharge so nothing goes to your black water tank. while in the Navigable waters of the US that valve is to remain locked in the closed position. Once you are in the Bahamas you can unlock and open that valve so all wast goes directly overboard, and does not even go the the blackwater holding tank.

Hope that helps.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

I have a y valve for each individual head to send the waste directly overboard, but don’t want to use them unless I really have to since that would mean dumping into the anchorage or harbor whenever we flush. It’s better to store it up and dump when in transit where it gets washed away by the tides. It’s considered bad manners to dump poo in a popular anchorage......
    I was planning on only pumping when full in all future pumps once I knew the system functioned as designed, but since this was the first time I hoped to pump at 1/4 full. I think I am going to trust that Hatteras knew what they were doing when they set things up and wait until I get the full light on our tank monitor. That still leaves about 6 to 8 inches of head space.
    Big concern is burning up my only pump kit getting a prime while lifting the black water 2 or 3 feet the first time. I figure all subsequent pumps will be OK since they will be about 10 to 14 days apart. Much less when we have company aboard.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

I am not familiar at all with the galleymaid pump but from the sounds of it it is very similar to a Jabsco mascerator pump with a rubber impeller. However, the priming port sounds like the traditional GM water pump. Typically the Jabsco pumps do not need prime but will burn up if running dry too long. In the past I have lubed them up with Teflon or white lithium grease to keep them from sticking or burning up. You can also try wetting it from the top as suggested above or shooting some lube into the priming port to protect the impeller. just make sure you don't run it too long if its not priming.
    1978 60C "Reel Action" Hull number 4 (304), 1986 36 Sedan "El Dorado" Hull Number 24 (324)

I don’t believe GM stator pumps are self priming unlike jabsco impeller pumps

Now I would think it was installed in such a way that once primed there would be enough water in there to get it going even if the tank isn’t full.

The only pump to use is the Sealand diaphragm. Self priming and run dry. If it was me I’d remove the GM and install a sea land as soon as I d get back
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I agree, sealand pumps are the best until you get into karge commercial unit's.
    1978 60C "Reel Action" Hull number 4 (304), 1986 36 Sedan "El Dorado" Hull Number 24 (324)

My recommendation would be to open up the priming plug and fill that nose cone with water. That way when you turn on the pump it will already have the water in there while it pulls the waste up and you wont have to worry about the stator burning out on you again. Raz told us at one point that you can also use silicone lubricant inside of the stator around the rotor to prevent drying and to help the pump get going.

I did not know that Hatteras installed a pump to empty the holding tank. I have an Oberdorfer A C macerator which is self priming. It will empty a full tank in about 10 minutes. It seems reliable. It has a vacuum switch to prevent running dry, but I feel the pump body as it is running to make sure it isn’t getting hot. Unfortunately, it’s not cheap.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    I did not know that Hatteras installed a pump to empty the holding tank. I have an Oberdorfer A C macerator which is self priming. It will empty a full tank in about 10 minutes. It seems reliable. It has a vacuum switch to prevent running dry, but I feel the pump body as it is running to make sure it isn’t getting hot. Unfortunately, it’s not cheap.
    I doubt any of these overboard discharge pumps was factory installed. That's why you see so many different brands on these boats, and why we don't all have them.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Considering how difficult it is to find working pump out stations and since by the mid 80s direct overboard discharge was illegal I can’t imagine hatteras delivering boats without a macerator on board. Did they?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat