Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DDEC question

DDEC question

If the fuel pressure switch were to fail, what effect would that have on a DDEC system and the engine?
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

2. Re: DDEC question

I had one of the fuel pressure switches on my 12v71's go bad while underway and it dumped fuel into the bilge. They are now something I replace regularly. Not sure what the impact would be to electronic control system but in my case the engine was still running.

Re: DDEC question

On the non DDEC motors that switch only excites the alternator and runs the hour meter , no effect on the actual engine operation.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

4. Re: DDEC question

You will immediately get an alarm at all stations. The engine will continue to operate normally.

Re: DDEC question

Concur on the hour meter and alternators. I had one go bad and I was able to operate the boat without issue. Simple to replace, I would suggest, if you replace one, replace both as the other is likely to fail. I also recommend a break free lubricant to help get the olds one out. Would not recommend applying any heat as they are tapped into the fuel sources.

www.translectricinc.com
    Qty Item Description Price Extended Discounted Tax
    2 76575-4* 4 Psi, N/O (Replaces M4006-4)* $13.02 $26.04 $26.04 $0.00
    Best regards,
    --
    David

6. Re: DDEC question

The DDEC fuel pressure sensor does nothing else than talk to the computer about fuel pressure Hour meters are not necessary on DDEC controlled engines. The alternators are energized by some other method installed on the engine by the boat manufacturer.