Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 60MY Air Draft

60MY Air Draft

I know this number will involve variables including fresh and saltwater, but Hatteras gave me numbers that have me scratching my head a little. To wit, height from the waterline to the top of the arch is 20’9”. To the top of the windscreen is 19’3”. Unless math has changed since I took it in school, that’s only 18” difference. Can that be right?

I’m trying to determine if we stand a chance of getting that number down to 15’6” which I had hoped would be possible by removing the arch and windscreen. That would allow running the entire length of the Erie Canal. If the numbers from Hatteras are correct, it would be iffy passing under the fixed bridge in Chicago. Will a laser allow exact measurements from the top of the bridge to the waterline?
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Re: 60MY Air Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    I know this number will involve variables including fresh and saltwater, but Hatteras gave me numbers that have me scratching my head a little. To wit, height from the waterline to the top of the arch is 20’9”. To the top of the windscreen is 19’3”. Unless math has changed since I took it in school, that’s only 18” difference. Can that be right?

I’m trying to determine if we stand a chance of getting that number down to 15’6” which I had hoped would be possible by removing the arch and windscreen. That would allow running the entire length of the Erie Canal. If the numbers from Hatteras are correct, it would be iffy passing under the fixed bridge in Chicago. Will a laser allow exact measurements from the top of the bridge to the waterline?
    I've done it with a laser; it's exact if you set it up right, but not that easy to set up if there's floating docks. So you have to set up on land and figure the elevation above the water before you even begin. I did it again with a transit and it was much easier--just needed to do the math.

IMG_1264.jpg
    Got one for sale.

All of the foregoing was to verify what I had already done when I took possession of Aslan. That is, I laid a 2x4 across the hardtop and dropped a line to the water. Then all that was left was to get the height of the masthead light and antennas. It all came out the same, so the KISS method worked fine.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Just get somebody to measure it with a tape.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

The 2x4 and string will be easy enough, but it’s just hard for me to believe there’s only 18” difference in height from the top of the windscreen to the top of the arch.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I’ll be at the boat next week so a 2x4 and a line it will be. I already have the measurement to the top of the radar mast. After I figure out why the lower helm has no steering but the upper works fine. It’s always something right? Oh and I fixed your shower. You’ll have to come up with different forearm exercises.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Given this crowd, I wish you had worded that differently, or at least elaborated on what you repaired.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Not sure what you mean, you said your knob was hard to pull on in the forward shower so I replaced the old one with a new one, made out of brass of course.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

That’s better. I like brass.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

You'll never make it. We couldn't do it in a 49 Gulfstar. My dad did that part in a 43 Tiara Open, but I don't see any Hatteras with a flybridge making it through that part.

Prepare for the Welland (or the Trent-Severn).
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I’m prepared for Welland, but it would save a lot of time if we could run the entire Erie. Hatteras didn’t have a height to the top of the bridge, minus the windscreen, but it has to be close to that magic 15’6” number. I’ve been researching this thing to death in preparation and have found a local captain in Sugarloaf who said this...

“My boat is 57' LOA and draw 5'3" in fresh water. With my arch down (mine is hinged) my air draft is 15'6". I've done the western Erie 9 times with it since 2016 with no issues.”

He went on to say he did it with about 7” to spare, but I’m not going to chance it unless we can come up with a 15’6” number. I think that’s possible, but we’ll see what Dave comes up with. If it’s close, but not quite, the next trick will be checking it again in freshwater where the boat will sit a little deeper. Removing the windscreen at that point should be easy enough.

It seems like we are in or near no man’s land with Trent-Severn, so I’ve pretty much ruled that out. Too shallow for comfort, and there are bridge issues there too. I think the Welland would be an awesome experience, but it appears to be an all day event for a very short distance. Seems flooding may give us our biggest problems where marinas are concerned, but we can deal with that too.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93