Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 30v vs 40v LED lights

I used marinebeam bulbs in salon with legacy wiring with no issues for 5 or so years. still dimmable.
    ER, I had those wired led strip 110v, and marinebeam bulbs in the legacy sockets.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Want to remove all the square recessed fixtures and install 3" down lights. Removing the vinyl headliner and replacing that with "linen style" headliner mounted to 1/8" plywood and fastened to sleepers. So in the main salon, out goes the single recessed overhead, and in goes 8 ~ 10 LED along each side of the ceiling. In the galley, (once remodeled) 8 LED downlights. Engine room passageway is planned for 6 downlights. Master stateroom, 6 ~ 8 downlights.

I used the Phillips lights from Home Depot 3 years ago, still going strong with no issues, just want to update the fixtures.

Scott, would the centrally installed Victron step down work with these various rooms? I am assuming the lighting circuits could be isolated at the breaker panel and a sub panel installed to accommodate the step down or would you recommend running all the 32v circuits through the Victron.

Also, need to get a quote from Scott on a battery charger for the Starboard starter set, as when the PO installed the Outback inverter, it will only charge the Port side and while I could have a crossover built, it just seems to me a better approach is a second charger. Eventually want to install solar panels to run as much of the hotel as possible. Is it better just to get another Outback 3500 Inverter/Controller for the Starboard side?

Lastly, I am not planning on learning the electrician trade with this project. I have a licensed guy up here that is willing to do the work, he just isn't interested in doing all the research for designing and sourcing the proper parts and pieces. It's a second job for him, so his time is really limited and he is in high demand. He would prefer I decide what I want, have it delivered, and then cut him loose to do the work.

I am planning on having Scott supply (and if practicable install) a Garmin suite, but that project is a year away. And while I'm down this rabbit hole, since the alarm control panel is toast, does it make sense to replace the sensors with digital and somehow integrate that into the new Garmin suite?

So much ignorance to overcome. Why did I start so late?
    Mark
    1981 56' MY Hull #320
    "Lady Ann"

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    My worry about the $18 step down converters is that they re made in red China.... I have used a couple but really try to avoid chinese junk when it comes to electrical parts, and dog food.
    i have spectacular charred Chinese step down converters filling the e-waste bin. Please do not waste your money. A drop down resistor to take the 32-36v to under 30 volts is the way to go in my book. You’re only turning 4-to-6 volts into heat at around 200 mA.
    The Imtra LED fixtures and bulbs mostly work up to 30 volts. I am doing the exterior deck lights right now and will post the dropping resistor value tomorrow. I’m just replacing the bulbs and switches... not the whole fixture.
    Captain Chuck Bullett; W1AEK
    Chartmaker 1978 53MY Hull #522
    On-Air 2014 31 Benetau Oceanis Sloop
    chuckbullett@gmail.com

The victron dc to dc converters are solid. I've not fried one yet.

Also I use a lot of imtra lights that can go to 40v dc. Just not inexpensive.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.