Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Oil Cooler Line

Re: Oil Cooler Line

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    Hi Paul,

Are you going to replace all four (i think) hoses? Every time I view my engines and gears I look at these old hoses. The physically most difficult to replace would be the gearbox sump hose, which will require the oil to be drained.
    Just replacing the leaking hose. I don't have a sump hose, and use a dipstick draw to change oil... 6+ gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Let me try to assist.....

If I'm correct it's HOLD-C, TURN-B

B will swivel in A

If not, the pic will let someone set me straight.
    Technically you should hold A so the hose doesn’t twist and the flare isn’t scored. According to Parker most leaks are caused by improper tightening of the fittings. The flares should be drawn together with no turning or twisting as it’s drawn up which would cause scores on the mating flares.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Technically you should hold A so the hose doesn’t twist and the flare isn’t scored. According to Parker most leaks are caused by improper tightening of the fittings. The flares should be drawn together with no turning or twisting as it’s drawn up which would cause scores on the mating flares.
    OK, I can buy that. If you hold A and turn B (Can't turn C) you indeed will keep the hose from twisting.

But the flare WILL be moving against its seat (A and B will be rotating in relation to each other, don't see any other way to do it as you certainly aren't turning C) ...... So I'm not understanding the "flare isn't scored" part....
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

A is the male fitting, B is the female. They need to be unthreaded from each other. B should turn freely at the joint with C. C may need to be held to get the rotation from the hose. Paint and rust can lock that joint up.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

That big stuff can take more than enough torque to un-score itself. Never had one fail over decades of farm, hvy equipment or boat hose changes.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    That big stuff can take more than enough torque to un-score itself. Never had one fail over decades of farm, hvy equipment or boat hose changes.
    Don't disagree with that, my results are the same... but always willing to learn more background. Aside from that, this is not a high pressure application like a hydraulic system.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Paint might be what holds it, Add to the Hold A, loosen B, you might have to hold C if it wants to turn. Think old GM fuel filters at the carb, more often then not the filter turns 1st, twisting a steel line. Like others said once broken loose should be able to finish by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    OK, I can buy that. If you hold A and turn B (Can't turn C) you indeed will keep the hose from twisting.

But the flare WILL be moving against its seat (A and B will be rotating in relation to each other, don't see any other way to do it as you certainly aren't turning C) ...... So I'm not understanding the "flare isn't scored" part....
    A and C are the mating surfaces that make the seal C is just the nut that puts pressure on the flares.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

A and C are the mating surfaces that make the seal C is just the nut that puts pressure on the flares.
    Doh! I knew that. Always weird talking about it on line versus having it in your hands. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay