Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oil Cooler Line

Oil Cooler Line

I'm waiting on parts on the genny project and using the down time to replace a leaking transmission oil cooler line. I've got MG514c's going to 12v71ti's. I need to crack this fitting, but I'm unfamiliar with it. The nuts are 1.5 inches and the wrenches are 24 inches.. so I can do so damage easily. Anybody separate this fitting before? Insight is appreciated.
    Attached Images

Re: Oil Cooler Line

It looks like a standard flare fitting, with a swivel type female, connected to a flare to npt adapter. Put a back up on the hex of the adapter. The hose will come off to reveal the male side of that flare to pipe thread adapter.
    Joshua1985 60C #379SCYLLAGalveston, Tx

Although I don't like using channel locks for hose fittings sometimes that is all you can get in there with. Also on some of them a crows foot will work.

Once you break it free it will almost come out the rest of the way with fingers. Sometimes you need something big for the initial break and something smaller to actually unthread it.

JoshuaHall is right, get something on the close nipple and then the flare female swivel.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

So, hold fast the painted nut on the right, and unscrew the stainless fitting to it's left?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 02-10-2020 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    I'm waiting on parts on the genny project and using the down time to replace a leaking transmission oil cooler line. I've got MG514c's going to 12v71ti's. I need to crack this fitting, but I'm unfamiliar with it. The nuts are 1.5 inches and the wrenches are 24 inches.. so I can do so damage easily. Anybody separate this fitting before? Insight is appreciated.
    You sure it’s 1-1/2? Doesn’t look that big. As already stated it’s a STD hydraulic fitting. Nobody doe it but you should hold the back nut and loosen the front swivel nut to keep from scoring the flare on the stationary fitting.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    So, hold fast the painted nut on the right, and unscrew the stainless fitting to it's left?
    That not the pic of what you have
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Let me try to assist.....

Hold A turn B. If C wants to turn, hold that too.

THIS WAS EDITED.... Although my initial answer (Hold C turn B) works, it was pointed out to me that the above is more correct....
    Attached Images
    Last edited by oscarvan; 02-12-2020 at 12:06 AM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

best i can tell, oscar is correct. the nut to the far left is to screw the fitting into the hose
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Hi Paul,

Are you going to replace all four (i think) hoses? Every time I view my engines and gears I look at these old hoses. The physically most difficult to replace would be the gearbox sump hose, which will require the oil to be drained.
    +++
    1984 61MY #353 with 9' cockpit extension.
    Sydney, Australia.

Thanks for the marked pic. It's definitely 1 1/2 inch. With a wrench this big, it's easy to torque something to death. I thought it was a mandrel type, like my fuel lines, but hadn't seen a swivel on any of the boat lines till now. The line is leaking at the cuff, not much, but time to go.