Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Cool Re: 65' Long Range Cruiser

Can you recommend any books, video series that supports maintenance on general boat systems ?

Re: 65' Long Range Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
    Can you recommend any books, video series that supports maintenance on general boat systems ?
    A really good foundation builder:

http://www.theboatingbible.com

I keep a small library on board, at the helm, and when I make good relations with hired hands, be it for crew and mechanics, I often give them one of these books and quickly go to replace it. Great for reference as well as education.

Cool Re: 65' Long Range Cruiser

Thank you so much

My last question and to the board

There is a Hatteras 48 IRC on yachtworld.com Both generators need to be replaced, asking $125,000

Is there technology out there where you could replace one or both generators using solar
    power?

I'll give you a partial answer. It depends on how you use the boat and how much power you need in a given period of time. If you don't have a generator you won't be running the air conditioning or an electric stove away from shore power. Some sailboaters do it. So the answer is, it depends.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Thank you so much

My last question and to the board

There is a Hatteras 48 IRC on yachtworld.com Both generators need to be replaced, asking $125,000

Is there technology out there where you could replace one or both generators using solar
    power?

I build inverter systems to do just that but they need to be charged with wind and solar to make it 100% renewable energy.

LiFePo batteries will charge much more efficiently than lead acid. My customer with the 45 leopard had no need to run the generator for months without air conditioning but had it if he needed it.

I'd look at a new generator and a smart integrated inverter as an option. I set up all kinds of systems. Having a smaller generator with additional power from an inverter could be a great solution.

PM me if you want to get into details.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Interesting concept from Marex Norway) that could be useful for those contemplating gennie/battery/inverter upgrades. Their boats offer a separate electrical system for the fridge/freezers on their cruisers comprised of solar panels and dedicated batteries. It is certainly something I would consider on a big boat along with a large LiFePO4 batteries and inverter(s) as an alternative to a new/upgraded generator. Many new boats (Dashew et al) have the capability to run all or most of their power needs - even aircon - using this setup often with the option of solar pv. Obviously easier to do and more efficient with newer boats but not too difficult even on something the size of the65lrc. Lifepo4 prices are coming down and capacities and sizes reducing so the cost and weight of battery vs genies is now making this alternative acceptable.

Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder

https://www.amazon.com/Boatowners-Me...4787320&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
    Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder

https://www.amazon.com/Boatowners-Me...4787320&sr=8-1
    I always had that on board my boats and still have my copy.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Did this boat sell?

The listing was gone when I did my daily drool.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

The YOUTUBE video is still available .