Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: 65' Long Range Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    1360 hours on 671n's is nothing. They could easily reach 10,000hrs or maybe even 20,000 before the next rebuild. And parts are available anywhere in the world.

If you can't afford the fuel, you probably can't afford the boat. Fuel, even at those prices, would still be the cheapest part of owning and maintaining the boat.
    I come from a sailing background so spending anything more than a few hundred dollars to fill up makes me baulk. It's a cultural thing that I will have to get over - I have various flexibility (not strength) issues related to arthritis that mean a sailboat is out of the question for me 'cos nowadays I simply couldn't manage the heavy work involved ,especially in heavy weather, so a trawler - single or twin - would seem to be the way forward. Bite the bullet and all that!
    Addendum- forget the 3 doggies we have in tow. I'm used to overnighters (and would have several heads at my disposal like at home) but I don't think I could face the prospect of long distance sail passages with the attendant doggie mess so it would be island hopping for me, anyway.
    Last edited by Jazomir; 03-18-2020 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Doggy adendum

Sound shields, although I have them, are the death of generators .
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    Interesting - I have heard opposing views on this subject. For, is the fact that a good well designed enclosure will have little or no effect on the drive engine despite the potential for higher temperatures in and around it. On the other hand, it is easy to miss a change on sound caused by a fault/imbalance in the drive engine which would mean that potential problems could go un-detected. Personally, it would be a shielded gennie for me - excluding from a few manufacturers producing very small 'packages' - I would make sure servicing/oil changes and checks were carried out and in a large boat have a backup, preferably identical model to cut down on the number of spares and service packs needing to be carried on long cruises.

Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    Agreed on sound shields. Better solution is simply hanging some sound deadening panels on a couple of sides of the generator against hard surfaces to limit the reverberation. Typically I do this on two sides and then something directly overhead, leaving plenty of access and visibility.

A few years ago a company offered a sound shield comprising of a tubular stainless steel frame around the generator on which a blanket of sound deadening material was draped. They had access panels held closed with Velcro and the entire shield could be removed quickly. They didn’t catch on, I have only seen one.
    JMooney
    61 MY 1983 #341
    “Jerrie”
    Miami , FL

Cool Re: 65' Long Range Cruiser

Hey Sky...been following this thread for years and I wonder ..... Would you have any estimate on what the yearly cost of maintenance for a boat like this... minus the insurance ,dock fee?

$15,000 a year ...$10,000?

How less to a 58 or 48 long range cruiser

Thanks

Mailman Jim

I'm sure others will chime in, but since I boat in freshwater, I'm not really sure. My costs are much less since the boat is in inside heated storage for 7 months/yr.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
    Hey Sky...been following this thread for years and I wonder ..... Would you have any estimate on what the yearly cost of maintenance for a boat like this... minus the insurance ,dock fee?

$15,000 a year ...$10,000?

How less to a 58 or 48 long range cruiser

Thanks

Mailman Jim
    You're going to spend 10-15 just for the basic annual yard work. Fiberglass boat, perhaps that's split in half for two years between hauls. Add fuel and oil changes. Dockage. Depends on how you then use it. Taking care and enjoying a boat like this where you actually start the engines quickly gets to a big number.

it also depends on how much maintenance you can do yourself. a 1500 dollar oil change can be done by yourself for less than half if you are capable. my yard charges 10 each to install zincs plus the price of the zincs. i have 6 zincs so i save 60 dollars and do it while they are painting the bottom. just changed 4 pieces of exhaust, took my about 6 hours, 100 dollars an hour, just saved 600 dollars
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    it also depends on how much maintenance you can do yourself. a 1500 dollar oil change can be done by yourself for less than half if you are capable. my yard charges 10 each to install zincs plus the price of the zincs. i have 6 zincs so i save 60 dollars and do it while they are painting the bottom. just changed 4 pieces of exhaust, took my about 6 hours, 100 dollars an hour, just saved 600 dollars
    Absolutely. But it seems to me that when you get to this size range your yard bills have a floor for these yards that looks a lot like $10k. Stabilizers have to be serviced every couple or three years, too. Cutlass bearings, too. Average those things out, and the annual maintenance cost really starts in the 10-15 range with owner doing almost all of his own work. Then factor in depreciating materials and systems, factor those into an annual dividend to the boating gods...

Bottom line, don't fool yourself.