Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: 65' Long Range Cruiser

Sky, I also thought they did a great job on that boat also, but it has been for sale for quite awhile. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Sky, I also thought they did a great job on that boat also, but it has been for sale for quite awhile. John
    That's because they blew the (waaay too) large budget on the nice interior/cosmetics, which is gonna price them even more out of the neighborhood when the 3600 hour 12V71's need to come out.

FIRST engines. THEN the pretty things.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    According to the magazine article in the brochure archives here, it cruises at 9 knots @ 1,400RPM while burning 8GPH total. I could live with that. Did I mention my birthday is in October, and that I'm up for adoption?

Gotta wonder what it would take to buy that one. I keep watching that damn video!
    Those numbers are very close based upon one year experience with my 58 LRC. I do not have Flowscans or other real time fuel flow monitoring, but was based upon a 1700 mile trip with one fuel stop.
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

Quote Originally Posted by JD5652 View Post
    Those numbers are very close based upon one year experience with my 58 LRC. I do not have Flowscans or other real time fuel flow monitoring, but was based upon a 1700 mile trip with one fuel stop.
    The numbers make a lot of sense with my own detroit experiences, but I didn't want to advertise a fuel consumption rate that was this efficient without knowing more about the boat. My Hargrave moves through the water pretty effortlessly. While I know I can far improve my consumption with something less that the 12 holes, something more modern, I really like knowing the power is there for thrust when you want it given the mass.

If I ever have to rebuild the 12's, I can see myself going to a high torque 6, and in doing so would likely double my range. I just don't have the cruising experience of a Hatt larger than 50 that isn't up on a plane.

She is a beautiful boat, good luck selling her.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Sir, if that is your Burger "Glory" in the background she is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by howhomes View Post
    Sir, if that is your Burger "Glory" in the background she is beautiful.
    No "Glory" aboard my Burger. Miss Fit. Formerly Taittenger.

This sounds like a good deal if it is nice in person as the video,yes/no ? Edwaed

She is a indeed beautiful vessel - classic looks both outside and inside. A few things bother me, though - the first being the 2 generators without sound shields as I would have thought the noise from DDC 20kW in particular would be very intrusive. Second, the Detroit Diesels even with a zero hours rebuild have 1360+ hours on them - how long would they be expected to reliably continue in service (though they were used in the past, they are not common engines in Europe). I could see this vessel being a great retirement cruiser for the Bahamas and West Indies - not so much in Europe due to the cost of diesel (£1.25/$1.40 per litre at last count) so even filling up once a year would be an expensive, even in Gibraltar which IIRC has the cheapest diesel in Europe.
    Anyway, I can still dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazomir View Post
    She is a indeed beautiful vessel - classic looks both outside and inside. A few things bother me, though - the first being the 2 generators without sound shields as I would have thought the noise from DDC 20kW in particular would be very intrusive. Second, the Detroit Diesels even with a zero hours rebuild have 1360+ hours on them - how long would they be expected to reliably continue in service (though they were used in the past, they are not common engines in Europe). I could see this vessel being a great retirement cruiser for the Bahamas and West Indies - not so much in Europe due to the cost of diesel (£1.25/$1.40 per litre at last count) so even filling up once a year would be an expensive, even in Gibraltar which IIRC has the cheapest diesel in Europe.
    Anyway, I can still dream.
    1360 hours on 671n's is nothing. They could easily reach 10,000hrs or maybe even 20,000 before the next rebuild. And parts are available anywhere in the world.

If you can't afford the fuel, you probably can't afford the boat. Fuel, even at those prices, would still be the cheapest part of owning and maintaining the boat.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI