Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Stand Alone Dehumidifiers- Good idea or not worth it?

A dehumidifier also helps the closet doors shut. If water discharge is an issue, a condensate pump costs about $50 and does a great job.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

I'm in favor of keeping boat interiors as dry as reasonably possible. But I don't think the water condensing in a dehumidifier is distilled- distillation refers to a process where you turn water to steam and then chill the steam so it condenses. For your batteries, which cost a good amount, I'd use bottled distilled water.

We should all have bilges that are as clean as Aslan's. But only one of us does. While mine look okay, and the only water in there is what the bilge stripping pump can't pick up, they are a far cry from Aslan's. If I thought RAC could teach me to keep mine that clean and tidy, I'd fly him up here to give me lessons.

Not a bad idea now that I think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I'm in favor of keeping boat interiors as dry as reasonably possible. But I don't think the water condensing in a dehumidifier is distilled- distillation refers to a process where you turn water to steam and then chill the steam so it condenses. For your batteries, which cost a good amount, I'd use bottled distilled water. We should all have bilges that are as clean as Aslan's. But only one of us does. While mine look okay, and the only water in there is what the bilge stripping pump can't pick up, they are a far cry from Aslan's. If I thought RAC could teach me to keep mine that clean and tidy, I'd fly him up here to give me lessons. Not a bad idea now that I think of it.
    9365348813. That’s my Delta frequent flyer number, and they ARE ready when you are. Btw, muchas gracious.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Soooooo....for the cost of an airline ticket Robert will clean out my bilges.....WOW such a deal!

Quote Originally Posted by ralexa6808 View Post
    Soooooo....for the cost of an airline ticket Robert will clean out my bilges.....WOW such a deal!
    I’m sheltering in my place.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

The processes are the same, the water (humidity) in the air was evaporated, and then condensed by the A/C or Dehumidifier. However, in distilling, you condense the water immediately after it evaporates, in a closed and very clean system of tubing. In nature, the water evaporates in air (for quite a long time) and picks up all the impurities in the air, not to mention the bacteria and crap on the coils of the AC unit. I would drink rain, which is essentially the same stuff, but not condensate from an A/C unit because of the dirty coils. I would put neither in a battery, unless that was my only choice.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Distilled water is transferred from liquid to steam with heat and the process sterilizes the water vapor plus contains it in a sterile environment until condensed.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Where do people put their dehumidifiers? I have heard that condensation finds its way to the highest points in the boat. Any truth in that? Thanks for your help! New Boat owner.

I think you can pretty much put them anywhere, as long as you have a fan or two circulating the interior air a bit.

I have two dehumidifiers, one in the aft cabin bathroom and one in the galley. Both are self draining models that drain into the sinks and overboard. The ones that fill up a tank and turn off are useless. They are extremely valuable to keeping the interior nice.