Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Stand Alone Dehumidifiers- Good idea or not worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    You have water in your bilges?
    I bow down before thee oh mighty keeper of the clean bilge! lol . Yeah, there is always a little water in by bilges. It is freshwater, usually from me washing or spraying something. The pumps don't suck it all the way out, so unless I go in with a shop vac there will always be a little. For the most part my bilges are oil free, until I screw up and spill some in them. I keep diapers under the engines for the known leaks/slobbers (getting that number down lower every season though!).

Someday I'll be able to vacuum out my bilges and expect them to stay dry!!
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

How do you know the bilge water is fresh? Do you taste it? Or are there salt detecting test strips? I am very leery of putting my bilge water on my tongue although I have been tempted as a leak location method. Anyway, is it safe to ingest bilge water even in tiny amounts?
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    How do you know the bilge water is fresh? Do you taste it? Or are there salt detecting test strips? I am very leery of putting my bilge water on my tongue although I have been tempted as a leak location method. Anyway, is it safe to ingest bilge water even in tiny amounts?
    lol, not sure I'd taste it. We know it's fresh b/c the only time it rises is when we spray fresh water in it. We have dripless shaft seals so there is no real way for saltwater to get into the ER other than if we are spraying saltwater on the back deck or rear bilge it will flow forward (when at idle or rest) to the ER.
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    Anyway, is it safe to ingest bilge water even in tiny amounts?
    Depends. How's your immune system holding up? You've got holding tanks, hoses, head pumps and God knows what, and the bilges are interconnected. Personally, I got a tetanus shot when I bought Aslan.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Depends. How's your immune system holding up? You've got holding tanks, hoses, head pumps and God knows what, and the bilges are interconnected. Personally, I got a tetanus shot when I bought Aslan.
    Guarantee there is some of my blood in my bilge water!! Knuckle skin as well!!
    SOUTHPAWS
    PENSACOLA, FL

1: On previous boat I put the dehumidifier on the sink/galley countertop draining into the sink.

2: Dehumidifiers tend to ice up below 65ºF. There are "Basement Dehumidifiers" which have a defrost cycle built in.

3: A developed sense of taste is the advanced mechanics friend. We're talking "TASTE" not "INGEST".... lol. TIP: Smell it first.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I've been working on my boat every weekend and vacuum out any water. When the conditions are right, condensation runs down the inside of the boat and creates pools of water.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Guarantee there is some of my blood in my bilge water!! Knuckle skin as well!!
    Ya think?
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

from what i have heard , you DONT want distilled water in your bilge, that is why the a/c condensate drain goes overboard not into the bilge. it causes premature rot in wood and causes smells
    Mis b' havin
    1972 58 yachtfish
    58yf352
    pass christian, ms.

JR, I've done the Pepsi taste test! Sorry we haven't met up again. I'll be back in the US in April. Hope your around then.
    James
    53' MY "No Regrets"
    I.O.P, S.C.