Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Stand Alone Dehumidifiers- Good idea or not worth it?

Guys...I notice that I my humidity onboard tracked pretty much with the prevailing exterior conditions, especially during the winter when the AC’s weren’t running much.Since we live in Charleston, SC it’s humid all the time so I got a stand-alone dehumidifier which measures about that which rolls conveniently under the galley dinette on Maggie Mae (53-MY)...and i put her to work. It’s rated to dehumidify about 1400 sq ft so I leave the companionway doors open and let the big dog eat. It pumps an incredible amount of moisture out....estimate a gallon every 8 hours or so. I had never had a moisture problem per se, but from a climate control standpoint it “feels” better (ie not as clammy)....so in the long run it’s got to help keep down interior moisture related problems? So what have been others experience in using dehumidifiers onboard.
    J R McCoy-100 Ton Master1980 53my-“Maggie Mae”Hull #576 Charleston, SC- Isle of Palms

Re: Stand Alone Dehumidifiers- Good idea or not worth it?

I have two down below running 24/7, it keeps it nice and dry and helps immensely with the comfort factor. One in the master stateroom and one in the hall between the VIP stateroom and VIP head. When we have the engine room doors open for maintenance the one in the hall needs to be emptied every day, otherwise they can go two or three days between filling up once you get the humidity down. I keep them set to 50% all the time.
    BTW, the dehumidifiers are running at the same time as the air conditioning which is supposed to lower the humidity and yet they constantly pull moisture out of the air. As far as I am concerned, the drier the better! We live aboard so we manually empty them as needed.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

I run one whenever the boat is closed up for several days or more. Really helps keep it dry. BTW, I use the water it generates for the batteries since it is by definition "distilled" water.

Quote Originally Posted by finatic View Post
    I run one whenever the boat is closed up for several days or more. Really helps keep it dry. BTW, I use the water it generates for the batteries since it is by definition "distilled" water.
    I'd be leery of using that water in batteries. After all it could have airborne extras, and oxidation from the dehumidifier.

Distilled water is pretty cheap at the drug store or supermarket.
    Regards
    Dan

I also have used one for years now - it is plumbed to discharge overboard. Works great.

I have one setup on the counter in the guest head. It drains straight into the sink to overboard. Also considered plumbing it to the bilge to keep the bilge water nice and clean and non-stagnant.

Makes a huge difference in how the boat feels/smells after being shut up for a week or two.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

I use one that drains in the shower in the summer. It doesn't seem to do as much in the winter when the temperature is lower.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    I have one setup on the counter in the guest head. It drains straight into the sink to overboard. Also considered plumbing it to the bilge to keep the bilge water nice and clean and non-stagnant.Makes a huge difference in how the boat feels/smells after being shut up for a week or two.
    You have water in your bilges?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    You have water in your bilges?
    Shocking mines mostly oil
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

So I’m reassured that many of you find that’s it’s worthwhile. The one I just got is kind of neat in that it has a built in pump and I can attach a line to it and run it to a sink or bilge or overboard as need be. I currently have it pumping into the galley sink, but will plumb it elsewhere less invasive when I get a moment. I thought about running it to a bilge but most of my forward bilge space is dry and I don’t want to introduce a new source of water. My engine room bilges are not dry as unlike Robert I don’t have dripless seals..so maybe I’ll plumb to there.
    J R McCoy-100 Ton Master1980 53my-“Maggie Mae”Hull #576 Charleston, SC- Isle of Palms