Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Looking at early 80's Hat 43 Convertible with 6V92's TI

Quote Originally Posted by moparharn View Post
    get the best possible engine survey that I can commission
    In addition to that, I have realized I need to go in eyes open. Don't cross your fingers and hope nothing happens. Be aware that a rebuild is not the end of the world, in fact standard procedure, and just accept the fact that at some point you have to pay for it. Cost of doing business.

Even if you do have to rebuild it's still a heck of a lot cheaper than a 2015 boat with newfangled engines just out of warrantee with the same guarantee..... none. Not to mention the new boats being ugly, but that's a matter of personal taste of course.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Wait a minute. You mean I can't have my cake and eat it too?
    Seriously, I was interested in this boat because it said it had recent rebuilds. If they cannot be documented, or I cannot get some assurance from the person who will be working on them that they are in good condition, I am not interested. Whether or not I get to the point of commissioning an engine survey depends on many things. First, it passes my somewhat detailed inspection (I am rarely surprised by the official survey), second, I get an accepted offer, third, it passes professional survey. The sea trial would likely be part of the engine survey, but it would still have to perform on the water before I would pay for a more thorough engine analysis.

The only reason I am considering this boat is because I cannot find a trawler that fits my needs and budget. This boat is a major compromise, and it is a Hatteras. Very few production boats can please the eye like a Hatteras convertible. I love Bertrams, but they are not as good looking a the Hat. Running this boat like a trawler might be a pipe dream, but it is what I intend to "mostly" do. I have admired Hatteras boats since I was a boy. Someday I might get to own one.

If listing references rebuilds does this not potentially add value to the boat? Doesn't this mean "hey, don't worry too much about having to rebuild these motors"? So why would I say" I'm buying an older boat and I need to expect rebuilds, its part of owning an older boat" The absence of documentation effects the value, and more importantly in my case, the PITA factor for the boat. This is just how i see it. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by moparharn View Post
    As for a 6V92 at 550hp, this would violate a general rule that I have heard expressed over and over and over. Horsepower should not exceed 75% of displacement if you want a less problematic and longer lived engine. It could very well be that I have received bad advice over and over and over.

Once again, it all depends on how they were run and how they were maintained. An overheat will kill them.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Maybe look at MY and LRC's. Find one in good cosmetic shape with lower HP DD's that will last many years and are cheaper to rebuild if needed either down the road or after purchase (priced accordingly) that a turbo higher HP engine.

Reliability, low cost parts, and low initial cost. Also closer to a trawler sort of in design and layout. The 43 double cabin was made for many years and is a popular layout. Will have more interior room than a 43 SF. Just suggesting. Good luck in your search. Overall if you buy any Hatteras it will be a great boat.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Smile Re: Looking at early 80's Hat 43 Convertible with 6V92's TI

Funny....with all the discussion about diesels with HP to CU/IN ratios below 1:1, I'll admit it makes perfect sense. Then the discussion about maintenance and heat makes even more sense. But in the end there are still lovers and haters of every brand.
    I give you the old Cummins 903's....with over 900 cubic inches, the base engine went out at 295 horsepower. That's just under 1/3 hp per cu/in! Many of these are still running with thousands of hours on them, but plenty of haters, for sure!

Stated simply for the fun of it....since the topic drifted!
    You might say I'm Poking through the cage with a stick!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Stated simply for the fun of it....since the topic drifted!
    You might say I'm Poking through the cage with a stick!
    Vince, in my profession this is called "Poking the Bear" and it's highly frowned upon.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

The LRC model is very hard to find in these parts. Really like them though. The prices have held well on them, must mean something for sure. I will keep an eye out for one.

Don't limit your search to boats "in these parts" as you might find the right boat is 1500 miles away. No big deal as long as you factor in the cost of delivery. Or, better yet, you get a great shake down cruise out of it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

If you Snooze you loose, It looks like old Geronimo might be off the market.
    Eddie Clemons Nashville, TN Southern Pride 1988 52CHATCS441K788 2004 Caterpillar 3406e's

The 43 is a pig. It got extended and became the 45 which people claim runs the same speed or faster on the same HP.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381