Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Re: Stuart, FL To Racine, WI On A 60MY

I'm thinking that offering a free boat ride to a bunch of fat chicks would be a lot easier than filling kiddie pools.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Easier to dispose of than my plastic barrels....

For entertainment value, and as a good illustration of "thinking outside of the box" there's this. (Yes I know it's a ragbote..... flame away )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiv0fxFcV3I
    Great video! We live at the north end of Lake Champlain. There is a fixed bridge that can be a challenge to sail boats in the spring when the lake is extra high. The solution to clear the masts is for two boats to go through together taking the halyard from the other boat and steering outwards to heel them over far enough to clear the underside of the bridge. Every so often a cable will snap while they are under and cause incredible damage.
    BobWaz
    1987 40 DC #322
    Knot Again!
    Champlain, NY

Y'all can't be talking about sailbotes on my thread, but since you have, I'll tell you about the regatta of WAFI's that were heading north in the ICW as we were traveling south in the Venice canal. As we cleared the Venice Ave. Bridge, we were faced with 4-5 of these things, all lined up and side by side coming right at us. That had me on the VHF.

"Are you northbound sailboaters planning on taking up the entire channel or what?"

No reply, but all but one started breaking off and falling in line. That's when I gave one good toot on the impressive air horns on the 60. I was hoping the WAFI knew that meant I planned to pass him on my port side, but he maintained course... as in straight at me.

"Northbound sailboat, if you wanna play chicken, I promise you're gonna lose"

No reply and no response, so I hit the big horn again... this time a bit longer. This time he fell in line with the others, and we passed by without incident or hand signals of any kind. Silly sailboters.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Randy:
    I made some of this trip with my wife and son about 10 years ago. Don't underestimate how cold it can get on the lakes, even if the temps are warm on shore. I remember sweating while getting ready in the high seventies, only to be shivering while out on the lakes. That cold water is like an ice rink and keeps the air cold above it.
    Funny, but my shopping for my next boat could well provide some of the return trip for you. I was just posting about the practicality of bringing a sedan down from Michigan to the Chesapeake. Still don't know if the trip would make sense financially, as it would also have to use both the Welland and Oswego Canals. The eastern side of the Erie Canal would be fine for this boat, but the Western side would have to be avoided by going up into Lake Ontario....this based on overhead clearances. Between fuel, dockage, per-diem and captain/crew fees, I don't know if it's viable, but I'll let you know if I do the math and want to pursue something.
    I'd have to steal the boat to make the math work!
    Vince

Vince, I know all too well about the temps on Lake Michigan having delivered a boat from Chattanooga to Charlevoix in September a few years ago. It was 98 degrees when I left, and by the time I reached Racine from that direction, it was in the 30's. Friend and fellow HOF'er, Jim Foley, drove up from Chicago to take me clothes shopping as I was freezing my ass off.

If nothing else, I'll definitely know the way if you find something up there you like. Heck, there are a good number of freshwater boats on the Tennessee River that may work for you as well. You can never go too far to find the right Hatt, except for the west coast or some other ridiculous location for an east coast guy. Even then, it could make sense if you found the right boat.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Here is that arch. I agree that the galley up is a little strange. That was custom ordered from Hatteras and was the only one they ever built that way. Obviously someone has redone it from original because I know Hatteras didn't use those cabinets.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Here is that arch. I agree that the galley up is a little strange. That was custom ordered from Hatteras and was the only one they ever built that way. Obviously someone has redone it from original because I know Hatteras didn't use those cabinets.
    I would have never guessed that Hatteras built that layout and just assumed a previous owner took that upon themselves. I did speak to the owner (thanks to you) who couldn't remember who did the arch work, but he was going to go back through his records and see if he could find it. He remembered it being done on the Okeechobee Waterway, so that should make it pretty easy to track down in the event he can't find the record. American Custom comes to mind, but there are a few other yards that could have been responsible.

On a different note, I've pretty much got this trip charted as far as the end of the Welland Canal. Hopefully that will mark the end of uncertainty as to how far we can make it on a given day, so I'm looking for suggestions for marinas that are spaced 120-150 miles apart. We can stretch or shorten that for really interesting spots, so any and all suggestions are welcome.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Favorite places along the Hudson would be Liberty Landing in NY Harbor which has a good restaurant next door. Going up the Hudson, you have Haverstraw which was recently bought out I think. But if you stop in at LL, you should be able to make it to Kingston NY in a day. Pull in at the Maritime Museum and dine at Ship To Shore along Abeel st.. If you run against the tide going up the river it will knock a knot or two off your speed. There is 4 feet of tide all the way to the Federal lock. We tied up at the Waterford Visitor center. Be advised reservations should be made well in advance. Nothing much right around there. Once out of the flight and a ways on, the Schenectady Yacht Club had space for us. Not sure how you will do. Sylvan Beach had Mariners Landing which worked well enough for us in the 43'.

As far as locking goes, make sure everyone knows how to slide a line around a cleat. There should be no merely hanging on to the line thinking you can keep the boat under control. Gloves are important and expect to get slimed. Keep some hand sanitizer around for the line handlers. Make sure you have water in the tank to hose it down but you don't want the deck slippery.
    A thruster will keep you in line but things happen. We usually shut down during the locking as it could take a while and people get gassed. It used to be Erie Lock 17 had you on the port side (going North). Not sure if they are still enforcing that. So be ready to swap all of the fenders and perhaps call ahead.

Make sure you have LARGE fender balls. You will want them at the water line and standard fenders at the rub rail. They may float you up far enough to leave only a couple of feet remaining of lock wall.

Too bad you cannot hit Thousand Islands and a stop at Bonnie Castle Marina. It is out of the way but maybe worthwhile. We stopped in at Sodus Point on the way back from BCM.
    Regards
    Dan

Good info, Dan. At least Dave and Trina got some locking practice on our lake crossing cruise with that type lock. I was surprised to learn that Welland also drops down lines as that’s quite a lift. We’ll have plenty of fenders out, and the boat does have a bow thruster. We’ll get another practice lock at Great Bridge.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Oh yeah, Liberty Landing is definitely on the agenda. We’re planning a side trip on the East River to see NYC. I did that with Walter P en route to YankeeFest, and it was very memorable. I’m thinking a night cruise would be pretty spectacular.

I looked at the Trent Severn route but between air draft and bottom draft, it seems iffy at best. Had someone else suggest Sodus, so that’s on the list too.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93